"4 Year Journey" Chelmno by alancollins

Chelmno Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 37 photos

Death Camps of Poland

Mine has been a journey which started 4 years ago. I first went to Poland 4 years ago, to Krakow, and having an interest in modern history I decided to visit the death camps at Auschwitz and Auschwitz Birkenau. I discovered that most visitors only went to the camp at Auschwitz and never went any further missing the true scale and horror of what had happened at Auschwitz Birkenau.
I set myself a goal that I would visit all of the 6 death camps in Poland. The next camp was Treblinka and though well known, it has fewer visitors, most of whom arrive in tour groups and by coach. I realised that the Nazis had picked these location because they are remote and difficult to get to.
I also included visits to Stutthof, Westerplatte, Schindler's Factory, Wolfsschanze, Plaszow, various locations in and around Warsaw as well as visits to Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia.
Last year I managed to visit Majdanek, Sobibor and Belzec. This left only Chelmno which I managed to visit a few days ago. With the exception of Majdanek, the other 3 camps are difficult to get to via public transport.
Why do I visit these places? Well history helps us to understand and learn lessons from the past but we still don't seem to learn these lessons.
I usually sit and silently reflect and try to comprehend what happened when I visit the camps. They are soundless places where the birds rarly sing adding to the silence.
Where to next, probably more camps in Germany though I still have Gross-Rosen to visit in Poland.

Chelmno Death Camp

The Chelmno Death Camp was the first was the first Extermination Camp and was opened in December 1941. During this time and its close in January 1945 at least 250,000 persons were murdered. At the end of the war there were only 4 known people who survived.

• Last visit to Chelmno: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 8, 2006

• Bavavia's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

alan, was this difficult to get to? were there many visitors?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Yet another horrifying place from the 1940s -- very well presented.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Alan - you have a braver heart than me to visit such sad places = but we should remember what has gone before

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I'd lie if I said it was a nice page. Well-written and with good pictures - yes! It can serve as a warning to mankind. Never again!

• Sep 10, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I am the first comment to this page, hope that you have many after mine!. Nice tips Alan in your Chelmno website.

alancollins

“Tickets, passport, money.”

Badges & Stats in Chelmno

Have you been to Chelmno?

Latest Activity in Chelmno