"4 Year Journey" Chelmno by alancollins
Chelmno Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 37 photos
Mine has been a journey which started 4 years ago. I first went to Poland 4 years ago, to Krakow, and having an interest in modern history I decided to visit the death camps at Auschwitz and Auschwitz Birkenau. I discovered that most visitors only went to the camp at Auschwitz and never went any further missing the true scale and horror of what had happened at Auschwitz Birkenau.
I set myself a goal that I would visit all of the 6 death camps in Poland. The next camp was Treblinka and though well known, it has fewer visitors, most of whom arrive in tour groups and by coach. I realised that the Nazis had picked these location because they are remote and difficult to get to.
I also included visits to Stutthof, Westerplatte, Schindler's Factory, Wolfsschanze, Plaszow, various locations in and around Warsaw as well as visits to Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia.
Last year I managed to visit Majdanek, Sobibor and Belzec. This left only Chelmno which I managed to visit a few days ago. With the exception of Majdanek, the other 3 camps are difficult to get to via public transport.
Why do I visit these places? Well history helps us to understand and learn lessons from the past but we still don't seem to learn these lessons.
I usually sit and silently reflect and try to comprehend what happened when I visit the camps. They are soundless places where the birds rarly sing adding to the silence.
Where to next, probably more camps in Germany though I still have Gross-Rosen to visit in Poland.
The Chelmno Death Camp was the first was the first Extermination Camp and was opened in December 1941. During this time and its close in January 1945 at least 250,000 persons were murdered. At the end of the war there were only 4 known people who survived.
There are a number of new Jewish Memorials with some excavation work going on around them. more travel advice
From the information available I am aware that the crematorium was destroyed by the Nazis, I'm not sure if this is part... more travel advice
alancollins' Related Pages
Chelmno Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chelmno
- 12 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Chelmno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chelmno
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 226 reviews, 1037 photos, 8 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 45 reviews, 239 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 38 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 37 reviews, 206 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz Intro, 31 reviews, 185 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 21 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 18 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 22 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues