"Lodz" Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz by alancollins

Lodz Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 463 photos

Lodz

I have just completed my first trip to Lodz. It was an unusual trip for a number of reasons. A nation was in mourning after the death of their president and his wife. An ash cloud from Iceland caused my return flight to be cancelled. A journey home by coach made me realise how fast air travel really is. How the Dunkirk spirit is still alive and well when you get ‘Brits’ together and the chips are down. And lastly it should be compulsory to provide rubber rings to sit on for long coach journeys.

Lodz

Makeshift memorial outside the cathedral in Lodz

Lodz is a city of contrasts. I took this picture outside of the cathedral as 2 young men placed flowers on a makeshift memorial before praying. Having seen them arrive they looked like they would not have been out of place mugging old ladies. I just could not imagine the same scene in the UK.

• Pros:Some beautiful buildings
  • Cons:Some ugly buildings
  • Last visit to Lodz: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2010

• sihi's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Great page of this interesting city!!:)

• Bavavia's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2011 at 5:47 PM

i hit a gold mind finding your poland tips!!!!!!!!!! I love all of the WWII history too and will be sure to see as many of these places when i go to Poland in 2012. Will do a lot of my planning with your tips!!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2011 at 3:12 PM

There are so many monuments and memorials here, and you captured them very nicely. I like you comments to enhance the picture settings.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 4:31 AM

Excellent page, very informative and well-researched. I really must visit the city some day and see all the war-related places you describe.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Good stuff for my upcoming visit (this week).

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM

A very interesting page, I think I would be in tears when seeing those mass graves. Love the sculptures, I agree, they do look so "real", they are very well done. Like the gardens too, would be like Lin!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Alan, very informative page about Lodz. I will keep some tips in mind, e.g. about the cheap internet in the Media Markt. I will be in Lodz in about 12 days at the end of our trip. I am leaving to Warsaw just now. :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Too bad your flight was cancelled because of the volcano! My younger son was in Australia at that time (no coach service from there to Frankfurt!) so he had to wait a week before he got a new flight.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Mar 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Alan, you have expanded this page considerably since I last looked on April 28, 2010. Lodz sounds like an interesting and historically significant place to visit.

alancollins