"Swieta Lipka" Swieta Lipka by alancollins
Swieta Lipka Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 24 photos
Swieta Lipka or 'holy linden tree' comes from a medieval legend. Sentenced to death a local leader carved a wooden statue of The Virgin, which was so beautiful, he was released from captivity by the Teutonic Knights. He placed the statue in a linden tree as a token of his thanks. Within a few years healing miracles were being reports. A chapel was built on the site in 1320 by the Teutonic Knights.
Swieta Lipka may be in the middle of nowhere but it is Poland's most famous Baroque shrine. Pilgrims and tourist arrive in large numbers. The Baroque edifice that you see today was started in 1687 and is a familar yellow and white colours that is seen in eastern Polish Baroque churches.
Entrance to the complex
- Pros:Emotional place to visit
- Cons:The church can be crowded
- In a nutshell:Uplifting experience
After a visit to the church it is worth walking around the cloisters to reflect and recuperate after a highly emotional... more travel advice
alancollins' Related Pages
Swieta Lipka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Swieta Lipka"
- "St Mary sanctuary."
- "Swieta Lipka"
- "Wonderful baroque church"
- "A baroque peral of the Lakes"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swieta Lipka
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Swieta Lipka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swieta Lipka
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 244 reviews, 1118 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 48 reviews, 251 photos, 7 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 38 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 37 reviews, 206 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz Intro, 31 reviews, 185 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 21 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 18 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banbury Intro, 33 reviews, 108 photos, 7 travelogues