"Mauthausen Concentration Camp" Top 5 Page for this destination Mauthausen by alancollins
Mauthausen Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 131 photos
Mauthausen was established in 1938, in Austria and is about 6 miles from the city of Linz. Up until 1942, the camp was primarily a camp and killing centre for 'undesirable political prisoners" from Germany, as well as opposition persons from occupied countries. In 1942, the decision was made to expand the industry in the camp and sub camps. The camp population grew from about 15,000 in early 1943 to 84,000 in March, 1945. Large numbers of Jews did not begin to arrive until the middle of 1944. About 200,000 prisoners are estimated to have passed through the camp of which 119,000 died, including about 38,000 Jews. The camp was not an 'extermination' camp as defined by the Nazis, but a camp where prisoners were worked to death.
Because of the harsh regime at Mauthausen Concentration Camp it was one of the most feared camps to be sent to. The camp was given a Rating III the only other camp with this rating was the sub camp at Gusen. It was used for extermination by labour. There were 101 sub camps spread out throughtout Austria.
Since 2003 Mauthausen has had a new visitor's centre complete with a book shop, information desk, workshop, toilets and... more travel advice
This was originally the site of the SS Barracks and it was located between the main camp and the quarry steps. In 1949... more travel advice
alancollins' Related Pages
Mauthausen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MAUTHAUSEN - 186 steps to death"
- "Mauthausen Concentration Camp"
- "Chilling Hold"
- "A Legendary Escape Story Surrounding the Camp"
- "Memory - Gedächtnis - Memoria"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mauthausen
- 10 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Mauthausen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauthausen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 260 reviews, 1178 photos, 8 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 46 reviews, 241 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 38 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 37 reviews, 206 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz Intro, 32 reviews, 190 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banbury Intro, 55 reviews, 133 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 21 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 18 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues