"Hohenwerfen Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Werfen by alancollins

Werfen Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 178 photos

Hohenwerfen Castle

Though there are several tips about the history and present day use of the castle no seems to have mentioned its use in the film 'Where Eagles Dare'. For the non film buffs it is set during the second world war and a group of special forces have to rescue an American Army General from the castle at Werfen, which is the main setting for the film.
Where Eagles Dare

Hohenwerfen Castle

A closer view of Hohenwerfen Castle.

• Pros:A beautiful castle
  • In a nutshell:This is a really scenic area
  • Last visit to Werfen: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 8, 2007

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

That movie is one of my husband's favorite movies. So it was strange when we visited there for the first time in 1997. We've been back there nearly every time we visited Austria, so needless to say we love the place ;-)!

• alancollins's Profile Photo
      Sep 11, 2014 at 1:43 AM

I know they say the British like to watch war films but strangely I once saw the Dam Busters film being played on TV in Germany, though I suppose that film is about true events.

• jojes's Profile Photo
      Sep 11, 2014 at 6:29 AM

I remember seeing a documentary about the dam and those bombs on e, so the movie is indeed based on true facts.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Lots of nice photo's especially the ones of the Castle!

• alancollins's Profile Photo
      Jul 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM

It was a really hot day when I went to Werfen, which contrasted with the freezing cold ice caves.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Nice views in your travelogues! I had never heard of Werfen or the Ice Caves or Hohenwerfen Castle before, but this area looks like a worthwhile destination. (Not far from Salzburg, either.)

• Feb 28, 2008 at 6:02 AM

I love the great pictures! You have one here of the castle! volopolo

• Gentleman75's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 12:31 AM

Nice photos about a nice place. I was there too and really enjoyed it. Greetings from Hungary! Andras

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2006 at 1:15 PM

Gorgeous scenery and wonderful caves!

“Tickets, passport, money.”