"Banbury" Top 5 Page for this destination Banbury by alancollins
Banbury Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 224 photos
The traditional rhyme, 'Ride a Cock Horse to Banbury Cross', for chronological reasons must have referred to Banbury's ancient High or Market Cross demolished by the puritans on 26th July 1600. It stood on a section of the Market Place in Banbury where it is now commemorated by a plaque. Other Crosses previously in the town were demolished about the same time. Although Banbury was without a cross for over 250 years, the memory sustained no doubt by the rhyme remained with the local population throughout that period. It became a physical fact again in 1859 when the corporation of Banbury erected a new cross in decorated gothic form at the most prominent road junction in Banbury - in celebration of the marriage of Queen Victoria's eldest daughter. Statues of Queen Victoria, Edward VII and George V were added in 1911 at the time of the latter's coronation.
In everyone's mind this is now "The Cross" of the Nursery Rhyme. The historical background is there to be discovered subsequently. It is 52 feet 6 inches high to the top of its gilt cross and is now the focal point of interest in the town and the site of any public celebrations particularly by the youth of the town on New Year's Eve.
When part of the previous church collapsed in 1790 the present Church which is a late Georgian building was erected in the last decade of the 18th Century and consecrated in September 1797. As the money was not available the church was not completed until 1822. St Mary’s Church was designed by Samuel Pepys Cockerill and is thought to be modelled on Sir Christopher Wren's St. Stephen's Church at Walbrook.
Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross, to see a fine lady upon a white horse, rings on his fingers bells on her toes; she shall have music where ever she goes.
Banbury now has a statue of a fine lady upon a white horse from the nursery rhyme. It is situated a few yards away from Banbury Cross. There is a frog underneath the white horse waiting to have a swim after it has been raining.
Click on this for a link to historic town trail
- Pros:Good shopping centre
- Cons:A traffic jam all day, every day in the town centre
- In a nutshell:Always expanding
This was my first visit to Ed’s Easy Diner on the new Gateway Estate at Banbury. It is a 50’s themed American Diner with... more travel advice
Travelling back to Banbury we suddenly decided to stop for a breakfast. Not having tried the place before we decide to... more travel advice
alancollins' Related Pages
Banbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "No place like Banbury"
- "Market town of Banbury"
- "Broughton Castle - Close to Banbury"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banbury
- Hotels in Banbury
- Transportation in Banbury
- Nightlife in Banbury
- Restaurants in Banbury
- Shopping in Banbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banbury
- 37 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Banbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banbury
- Posted in Travel Sachsenhausen Forum "Re: Restaurant recommendation for..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "American themed diner"
- Wrote a Review American themed diner in Banbury Restaurants
- Commented on one of alancollins's Banbury travel pages
- updated a Banbury Travel Page "Banbury"
- Uploaded a Video to Banbury
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 260 reviews, 1178 photos, 8 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 46 reviews, 241 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 38 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 37 reviews, 206 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz Intro, 32 reviews, 190 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 21 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 18 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banbury Intro, 37 reviews, 112 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues