"Weimar" Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar by alancollins
Weimar Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 558 photos
In the past Weimar became known as centre for culture, famous for Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Johann Sebastian Bach, Johann Gottfried von Herder and Friedrich von Schiller. After the end of the Great War a new constitution for the German Reich (Weimar Republic) was drafted in 1919 in the city. Weimar was chosen because of its central location within the country and because Berlin was unsafe at the time because of public disorder. This was the first time that Germany had been a democracy and over the next few years it had its ups and downs. Unfortunately the new constitution contained a fatal flaw, Article 48, which allowed the Chancellor to rule for short periods with complete autonomy during times of emergency. Soon after Adolf Hitler came to power the Riechstag was set on fire. Because of the fire Adolf Hitler invoked Article 48 allowing him rule by decree. Within a short space of time democracy ended altogether in Germany and Adolf Hitler became dictator.
The Park on the Ilm is situated on the eastern side of the Aldstadt and was developed between 1778 and 1828 with input... more travel advice
One of the strange features of Buchenwald Concentration Camp was a zoo that was built just outside the camp and within... more travel advice
alancollins' Related Pages
Weimar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Goethe & Schiller, but also Buchenwald"
- "Weimar, the city of Goethe, Schiller and Wieland"
- "A Capital of Culture"
- "Weimar - Goethe and Schiller at every corner"
- "One of the Most Walkable Cities in Europe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Weimar
- Hotels in Weimar
- Transportation in Weimar
- Nightlife in Weimar
- Restaurants in Weimar
- Shopping in Weimar
- Warnings and Dangers in Weimar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Weimar
- 22 Reviews
- 126 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Weimar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Weimar
Photos in WeimarSee All Photos (126)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 260 reviews, 1178 photos, 8 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 46 reviews, 241 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 38 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 37 reviews, 206 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz Intro, 32 reviews, 190 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 21 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 18 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banbury Intro, 35 reviews, 110 photos, 7 travelogues