"Arnstadt" Arnstadt by alancollins

Arnstadt Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 42 photos

Arnstadt is one of the oldest town in Thuringia and is nicknamed the Gateway to the Thuringian Forest. The Market Square in Arnstadt is where you will find a number of interesting historic buildings. There are various shops, cafes and bar and it also includes the local Tourist Information Office with its helpful staff. In the centre of the Market Square is a statue to Johann Sebastian Bach who was the organist for a period of time at the New Church.

• Last visit to Arnstadt: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2007

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM

The Thuringian Forest is beautiful. Thank you for your tips, and commenting my Caputh page.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM

This looks like quite a typical town in Thüringen. I’ve never been to Arnstadt, but I must have passed through on my way from Suhl to Erfurt.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
      Oct 4, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Another VT member suggested a vist to Arnstadt. I wandered around the various points of interest and became hopelessly lost for some time before I eventually found my starting point.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Loved reading about the "new" tower built in 1418, that was long before we were even discovered. No wonder I feel silly writing about "old" buildings in Australia, they only date to the 1800's.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Thank you for the tips about Arnstadt. I'll be there in a few weeks, mainly to see Mon Plaisir but also to see the rest of this old town.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Excellent pictures and interesting tips. To see the church where Bach himself played - wow! You must have been tired of all that sightseeing - you never had any problems with finding your car during our trips in England.

• evona's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Nice little page, Alan. Greetings from Erfurt :)

alancollins

“Tickets, passport, money.”

Badges & Stats in Arnstadt

Have you been to Arnstadt?

Latest Activity in Arnstadt