"Eagles Nest" Berchtesgaden by alancollins
Berchtesgaden Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 828 photos
A view of the Eagles Nest before starting the journey up.
I have some more tips and history of the areas more sinister past please my
When I went to the Eagles Nestin 2004 I decided to walk up to the top from the Platterhof car park. It was a misty morning and on the way up I could hear someone who was using hiking poles catching me up. When he caught me up we nooded hello to each other. He was the only person that I saw on the way up.
The following morning I decided to walk to the Ice Chapel at the foot of the Watzman and it is about 1 1/2 hours walk from St. Bartholomew. On the way there I never saw anyone but on the way back I ran into the same person I had seen the previous day.
Not sure what the odds were of 2 crazy people doing the same isolated walks but must be fairly high.
I first visited the Eagles Nest in 1964 and have visited the area a number of times since. When I first went in 1964 there use to be birds that hovered on thermals waiting for visitors to throw food off the mountain top and they would dive down after it.
The Eagles Nest is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the area. The house was presented to Hitler for his 50th birthday and is frequently mixed up with the Berghof (destroyed) which was next to the Hotel Zum Turken. Because of the mix up with the Berghof it is also thought that Hitler spent a lot of time here when it fact he only made a few visits to the Kehlsteinhaus as he suffered from vertigo and did not like the place.
It is 1834m above sea level and cost £100,000,000 in today terms to construct. History of the Kehlsteinhaus.
- Pros:Spectacular views
- Cons:Sinister past
alancollins' Related Pages
Berchtesgaden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic mountains & also some sort of history"
- "Bavarian Beauty"
- "Berchtesgaden - a meanderer's viewpoint"
- "Side Trip to Bavaria"
- "More pictures from Konigsee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berchtesgaden
- Hotels in Berchtesgaden
- Transportation in Berchtesgaden
- Nightlife in Berchtesgaden
- Restaurants in Berchtesgaden
- Shopping in Berchtesgaden
- Warnings and Dangers in Berchtesgaden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berchtesgaden
- 0 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Berchtesgaden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berchtesgaden
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 219 reviews, 1008 photos, 8 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 45 reviews, 239 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 38 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 37 reviews, 206 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz Intro, 31 reviews, 185 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 21 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 18 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 22 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Latest Berchtesgaden hotel reviews
- Hotel Alpenhof
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel und Gasthaus Maria Gern
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2012
- Hotel zum Turken
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 10, 2013
- Hotel Bavaria
- 132 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Intercontinental Resort Berchtesgaden
- 200 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Vier Jahreszeiten Berchtesgaden
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013