"Berlin" Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin by alancollins

Berlin Travel Guide: 6,962 reviews and 15,611 photos

Berlin trips

First Visit-May 2003

Berlin was the first place that I visited in what I call my ‘solo’ holiday phase in 2003, and it seems such a time ago I can’t remember why I choice to go there first. Though looking through my photographs and deciding which ones to choose to write tips about I have became aware I missed numerous interesting places to visit. I have decided that a second visit is called for, though it will probably be during my ‘couple’ holiday phase. I believe that my solo visits are in effect a reconnaissance exercise, so that during future visits, I will know exactly what to visit and what to miss.

Second Visit-September 2007

Well I have spent another 14 days in Berlin on another solo visit. I decided to re-visit after I spent an enjoyable 16 days in Germany during the summer of 2007. I achieved all the goals I set myself before I left but still feel there is still more to see in this vibrant city. This time I gave the public transport system a hammering and discovered its easy to use and it is an excellent mode of transport.

Third Visit-March 2008

Well I have made a third visit to Berlin. The public transport strike had ended and I discovered new places to visit becoming more adventurous with what I did. The only downside was the camcorder developing a fault and I caught a cold, which is unusual for me.

Fourth Visit-June 2008

I have completed my fourth trip to Berlin. This time I went further afield to Seelow, Berlin-Gatow and Bernau.

Fifth Visit-September 2008
I have completed another trip to Berlin and the warm weather was a change from the persistent rain in the UK. I tried a different hotel and went to numerous places I have never visited before.

Sixth Visit-November 2008
I have just returned from another trip to Berlin. This time I visited Wandlitz, just outside Berlin and revisited some of the larger museums.

Seventh Visit-March 2009
I travelled to some places outside the city including Halbe, Zossen & Bogensee. Plus renewed visits to some old and new places.

Eighth Visit-May 2009
I travelled to some places outside the city including a day trip to Kostrzyn, Wandlitz and Prenden.

Visits from Berlin

These are some of the places I have visited from Berlin, some more than once. Some are well known but most are not.

Bernau
Werneuchen
Zossen

New era. Couple holiday phase

Nineth Visit-September/October 2009

Lin loved some of the grander buildings and museums but hated the graffiti and using public transport.

Tenth Visit-March 2010

Back for another visit on my own. I had to complete lots of research to find places I have not visited before. I was lucky enough to bring the sunshine with me.

Eleventh Visit-November 2011

Another visit on my own. Re-visited some old places, amazed at some of the changes. Still found some new places to visit.

Twelfth Visit July 2012

Another visit on my own. Found lots of new places to visit and saw some changes too some more popular places.

Thirteenth Visit December 2012

A number of firsts. First visit to the Xmas markets, first break with snow from start to finish, first takeoff in the snow, first room upgrade with wine.

Fourteenth Visit March 2013

My tenth year of visiting Berlin, unfortunately the snow arrived again but I was not going to let that stop me with my list of goals.

Fifteenth Visit May 2013

What I call my end of the line trip

Sixteenth Visit November 2013

Ferries, Walks & Festivals

• Pros:A vibrant City
  • Cons:The graffiti capital of the world
  • In a nutshell:Turn your back and its changed - still true in 2013
  • Last visit to Berlin: Nov 2013
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2013

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2014 at 2:50 AM

What a page mate. I didn't know you were a big Berlin head! Brilliant stuff.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:53 AM

Interesting and informative new reviews from your sixteenth visit to Berlin!

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Thanks for viewing my Berlin pages, just away on an extended trip to sunnier parts of your homeland, across the pond.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:47 AM

Have a great trip!

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM

It seems that every time I look at your Berlin page you have added some more new tips and updates. Keep up the good work!

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Hopefully there should be some more tips as I have another trip planned in a couple of weeks.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Me again, coming back to have a look at your many updates and new tips since March 29. You have really found some fascinating places. I'll definitely try to visit the Panke Museum, for instance, next time I am in Berlin.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM

wow, 226 tips already and a lot of great updates again !

• Ewilly's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM

very interesting but I never heared so far that Bismarck was a prince !

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:53 AM

In 1871, Otto von Bismarck was raised to the rank of Fürst (Prince). He was also appointed Imperial Chancellor (Reichskanzler) of the German Empire, but retained his Prussian offices (including those of Minister-President and Foreign Minister). He was also promoted to the rank of lieutenant-general, and given another country estate, Friedrichsruh, near Hamburg, which was larger than Varzin, making him a very wealthy landowner. Because of both the imperial and the Prussian offices that he held, Bismarck had near complete control over domestic and foreign policy.

• Ewilly's Profile Photo
      Jun 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

haha, in german prince only has the meaning of prinz (= son of a king) and Fuerst is something else in german, but obviously not in english ! something new learned again !

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM

'Angels Over Berlin'/'Wings of Desire' .(Der Himmel über Berlin) Dir/writer. Wim Wenders. Sequel, 'Faraway so Close'. What a Berlin comparison in those great movies. 'Must see' classic films .

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Thank you for your comment, unfortunately I do not see as many foreign language films as I should do.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM

You made a lot of great updates again since my last visit to this excellent page !

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Thank you for your comment, I have just been on another visit and I am slowly catching up with updates.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM

OK, so you have 209 tips now - please let me know when you make any updates again !

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Hi Don, Thank you for your comments. I have just returned from another trip to Berlin so there will be some further tips shortly.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Alan, you have added numerous fine new tips here on your Berlin page just in the past month. I’ve never been to the Willy Brandt Museum, but will put it on my list for next time.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Me again, coming back to read your new and updated tips since March 12. I had never heard of that Finnish architect and his UFO houses, made back in the days when plastic was a very cheap material.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:09 AM

A great idea overtaken by the 1970s oil crisis.

alancollins