"Colditz Castle" Colditz by alancollins
Colditz Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 44 photos
Colditz Castle has had a long history starting in 1046 and a number of castles have stood on the site. It has also served as a prison, hospital, workhouse and mental institution. To most Germans the name of Colditz Castle is meaningless but to other counties it was known for holding allied officer prisoners of war during WW2, designated Oflag IV-C. The Germans made the mistake of using Colditz Castle to hold prisoners who had made previous escapes attempts and a castle is designed to keep people out not keep them in. A number of books have been written as well as films and television series. Despite all the security over 300 prisoners made escape attempts and 31 were successful.
The castle is set around 2 courtyards, the outer building and courtyard which is closer to the town, was used by the German guards and was known as the 'Kommandantur,' More recently the outer building was altered into a 150+ youth hostel that has provoked some controversy as origin features from its WW2 history have been lost. When the castle was in Soviet hands it was almost demolished, though this did not happen the castle was allowed to decay over the next 45 years.
The second courtyard and buildings were for the prisoners and is reached via a number of gates.
- Pros:Stunning castle
- Cons:Building work in progress hiding parts of the castle
- In a nutshell:Made famous by books and films worldwide
One of the main problems for the prisoners was boredom. Unlike the other ranks, officers did not have to work. Though... more travel advice
One escape attempt at Colditz was by 9 French officers as a long term project. It was discovered that the clock tower... more travel advice
alancollins' Related Pages
Colditz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Colditz Castle"
- "Colditz : WWII Oflag IVC"
- "Escape to Colditz"
- "Former prisoner of war camp at Colditz"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colditz
- 5 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Colditz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colditz
Photos in ColditzSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 260 reviews, 1178 photos, 8 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 51 reviews, 236 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 46 reviews, 241 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 38 reviews, 229 photos, 9 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 37 reviews, 206 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz Intro, 32 reviews, 190 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 21 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 18 reviews, 140 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Weimar Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banbury Intro, 36 reviews, 111 photos, 7 travelogues