Tijuana Things to Do Tips by anagrettel
Tijuana Things to Do: 89 reviews and 134 photos
Another thing you can do it's know Tijuana, yes what nobody does when visit this city is actually know what is Tijuana all about, and why is so famous or infamous and popular.
The city was originally called Rancho de la Tia Juana and was given its birth after the borders were set up between the United States and Mexico.
During the 1920's, the U.S. Prohibition Liquor Laws made this border city an obvious magnet to liquor thirsty tourists from California and beyond. It soon offered casino gaming, horse racing, shopping, a world famous health spa, and Caesar Salads.
In the 1930's born Agua Caliente in Tijuana, Mexico. A lavish resort built by 3 American gangsters (Ben "Bugsy" Siegel was supposedly involved) and a Mexican Governor "Abelardo Rodriguez", Agua Caliente opened in 1928. Bungalows, waterfalls, several golf courses, gourmet cuisine, Agua Caliente was like a small town unto itself. Agua Caliente also had a racetrack operation for a while, opening in 1930. This was before there was a Las Vegas. Movie moguls and stars of stage and screen would take the jaunt down to Agua Caliente for the weekend and play the horses, golf, swim, and just be seen. More than 80,000 people attended the races there every weekend. Celebrities who played the Agua Caliente Casino or started their careers include; Jimmy Durante, Rita Hayworth, Tom Mix, Oliver Hardy and Fred Astaire.Charlie Chaplin, Clark Gable, Rita Hayworth, Glenn Ford and Spencer Tracy and Al Capone were guests.
The casino did tremendous business, but was closed down by the New Mexican president Lazaro Cardenas in 1935 and was replaced by 5 schools. Many Tunnels were found in the casino that were used by Al Capone and his people to cross liquor to U.S. and are actually closed.
A good place to visit is "Jai Alai" located in Ave. Revolution,
for those sports lovers this will be agreat experience.
Fronton Palacio Tijuana Jai Alai is the only fronton that lets amateurs practice on the same court where the pros play.
Address: Revolution ave. & 8 street
More Reviews (8)
anagrettel's Related Pages
Tijuana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tijuana--South Of The Border!"
- "Gate to real Mexico :-)"
- "OVER THE BORDER"
- "Gone Fishing!"
- "Home away from home!"
- "Discovering Tijuana"
- "Tijuana - - - a land between countries"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tijuana
- Hotels in Tijuana
- Transportation in Tijuana
- Nightlife in Tijuana
- Restaurants in Tijuana
- Shopping in Tijuana
- Warnings and Dangers in Tijuana
- See All...
Explore the World
- Brussels Hotels
- Isola Bella Hotels
- Loch Damh Hotels
- Montezuma Hotels
- Belfair State Park
- Northern Mariana Islands
Badges & Stats in Tijuana
- 10 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Tijuana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tijuana
Photos in TijuanaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Mexico City Intro, 52 reviews, 147 photos
- San Diego Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 18 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 25 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Cancún Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Tijuana Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Estado de Querétaro de Arteaga Intro, 14 photos
Latest Tijuana hotel reviews
- Hotel Pueblo Amigo
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Residence Inn Baja California Tijuana/Real Del Mar
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Corona Plaza Tijuana
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 27, 2011
- La Villa de Zaragoza
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Motel Leon
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 6, 2013
- Hotel Nelson
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 20, 2013
- Hotel Lucerna Tijuana
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Hacienda Del Rio
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Hotel Hacienda Del Mar
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 5, 2013
- Camino Real Tijuana
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Hotel Palacio Azteca
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Grand Tijuana
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Avenida Revolucion- 17 Reviews, 34 Photos
- The Border- 13 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Tijuana Arch- 5 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Cultural Center- 7 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Zona Rio- 5 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Jai Alai Palace- 6 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Wax Museum- 4 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Shopping- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Day Trip- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Mariachis- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
See All Tijuana Things to Do