"THE FRONT PAGE" Babcia's Profile

Edmonton in July

The spring and early summer in the northern reaches of the western plains - aspen parkland - have been rainy and cloudy. After several years of drought conditions, the rain is welcome - it makes the North Saskatchewan River Valley in Edmonton very lush and green.
Only one drawback to the much-needed moisture - mosquitoes!!!!!!

WANDERLUST

Where ever your travels take you, and however you choose to journey, may you always uncover more of the wonders of this world to delight your eyes and your soul!!!

***********************************************************

Travellin' Gal

OK - here's goes again - I've been away from VT for a quite a while over the past couple of years, but I haven't forgotten this interesting site for travellers and friends.

None of the trips that we had planned were realized (because of serious illness in my family), but we did manage a very short get-away recently. I did take photos, and once they're dowloaded and sorted, I'll post some on VT too.

So - hopefully more to come very soon.

Happy travels to all!!!

***********************************************************

The First Snowfall in Autumn is Special

The first thing that nearly everyone says about Canada is "isn't it always winter there?"

Well. . . . . no!!

We DO have cold and snowy days, some parts of Canada more than others. But we also have glorious sunny and warm days, when the colours of the flowers and the trees and the earth beam with delight. And we have just about as many warm days as cold days - otherwise the flowers wouldn't bloom as wonderfully as they do.

Here is a photo of hollyhocks that wouldn't stop blooming till early November, when the snow reminded them that it was time to sleep for another season.

By the way, I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, at 53.5 degrees north latitude, on the northern edge of the great North American plains in an ecological area called aspen parkland (the transition zone between the prairie grasslands and the boreal forest).

It's beautiful here - please come and visit and see for yourselves!!

Winter - my favorite season!!!

This first snow of 2008 fell on November 11th in Edmonton, and lasted about three hours. It was very pretty - nature's way of decorating the landscape once the autumn colours had faded away.

************************************************************

The first "real" snow of winter 2009/2010 fell at the beginning of December, on the 4th, and then the temperatures plummeted to -36.5C on the 13th of December, yes!! that's MINUS 36 degrees Celsius!! it was much colder outside of the city - at the International Airport 9 km south of Edmonton city limits the temperature was recorded at minus 46 degrees Celsius which was the coldest recorded in the world for that day.

I love winter !!!!!

And introducing. . . . . . .

So what does one do on the long winter nights in Canada??

Enjoy life, of course!! Eat fine food and drink fine wines!!

So here I am at Christmastime with my wonderful hubby, celebrating the festive season.

As I build up my VT pages, I will try to show you all the parts of Canada that we have visited and the wonderful wilderness and scenery that marks our natural beauty. I'll review many of the restaurants where we have had the good fortune to taste some delicious food & wine.
But friends - please be patient - it has taken me two years just to get to this point - the beginning of a homepage!!

Cheers!!!!

What "Babcia" means. . . . . .

Children are always a joy, and when they are your own grandchildren, the feelings you have are impossible to describe with mere words. . . .

Little girls are sugar and spice

. . . .and all things nice !! This little princess is the jewel in our family. She can't keep up with her brothers yet, but one day I'm sure she will!!!

One thing that I've found is that it is almost impossible to take a picture of three kiddies all six years and under - one of them invariably makes a face or runs away or looks in the opposite direction.

I need tips from experienced people photographers!!!

• Intro Updated Jul 17, 2011

• nizash22's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM

happy birthday wishes to u my friend, wishing many happy returns of the day, with love and reagrds from saudi arabia

• sheherezad's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Happy birthday  

• MargotB's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and a great year following!

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Thanks so much for the birthday greetings!!
      Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2015!!

• MargotB's Profile Photo
      Dec 24, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Wishing you all the best for the holidays and the coming year 2015 - and always, Babcia

• jayjayc's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Happy birthday! Cheers!

• zschachwitz's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Hello, and a happy birthday. Keith. xx

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Thanks Keith!
      Wishing you a happy Christmas and wonderful New Year 2015!!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 9:50 AM

W dniu Twoich urodzin życzę Ci wiele zdrowia, szczęścia i pomyślności. Sto lat!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Sending good wishes on your special day. May this day/night be filled with joy, smiles, and love!

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Dee - thanks for the birthday greeting!! Hoping that you and Allan have a wonderful Christmas and wishing you a happy healthy New Year 2015!!!

• mili_143's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 6:49 AM

Wish you many many happy returns of the day! Enjoy and have great day.

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Happy birthday from rainy Belgium!

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Thanks for the birthday greetings (from wintery Edmonton!)

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2014 at 2:31 AM

Najlepsze Zyczenia Urodzinowe. Zdrowych i Wesolych Swiat oraz Wspanialego Nowego Roku 2015 !

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Dziekuje za zyczenia !!
      Radosnych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia oraz samych szczesliwych dni w Nowym Roku 2015 !!!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Babcia's Profile Photo

Babcia

“In wildness is the preservation of the world....Henry David Thoreau”

Real Name