"Montreal in the Spring" Montreal by joanj
Montreal Travel Guide: 3,653 reviews and 6,821 photos
Montreal is the second largest city in Canada. French is spoken throughout the city.
Montreal's location at the convergence of the St. Lawrence and Ottawa rivers, made it Canada's first great trading centre.
It was founded in 1642 by a group of French Catholics as a Christian community and port.
About 70% of it's 3 million residents are of French descent, another 15% have British origins, the rest are made up of many major ethnic groups.
Interesting neighbourhoods sprawl along the southern slops of Mont-Royal - the 234m (767ft) hill from which the city derives its name.
Montreal shares a 59k (30 mile) long island in the St. Lawrence River with the 28 other municipalities that make up the Communaute Urbaine de Montreal.
The city core lies between Mont-Royal and the river, and streets follow a fairly consistent grid pattern with Boulevard Saint-Laurent, known as The Main, splitting the city into its western and eastern halves. Montreal is a large city but getting around is quite easy.
A tunnel and 15 bridges link Montreal island to the mainland, and the Ville-Marie and Bonaventure Expressways carry road traffic right into its heart. The most convenient way to get around within the city is on the metro and bus system, which service most sites of interest.
In the picture here, you can see we have crossed the St. Lawrence River, and are looking to downtown Montreal and in the distance Mont-Royal.
A stone church was built between 1672 and 1683. It was located right in the middle of Notre-Dame Street. By 1800 many... more travel advice
Stopping here on the city tour, which was part of our Canadian Coast to Coast tour, I had to take the photograph under a... more travel advice
joanj's Related Pages
Montreal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue a Montreal! (Welcome!!!)"
- "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- "Fall in love with Montréal..."
- "MONTRÉAL - our entry to Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montreal
- Hotels in Montreal
- Transportation in Montreal
- Nightlife in Montreal
- Restaurants in Montreal
- Shopping in Montreal
- Warnings and Dangers in Montreal
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Montreal
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Montreal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montreal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barbados Intro, 124 reviews, 195 photos, 10 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sliema Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 7 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Montreal hotel reviews
- Le Petit Prince Bed & Breakfast
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- Auberge YWCA Hotel Montreal
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hotel Les Suites Labelle
- 215 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Auberge Le Jardin D'Antoine
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Opus Montreal
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- La Maison du Patriote
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Hostelling International Montreal
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Hotel Bourbon
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Sep 4, 2011
- Habitation du Vieux Montreal
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel Gault
- 416 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Petite auberge Les Bons Matins- B&B
- 161 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Le Breton
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 19, 2012
- Aloft Montreal Airport
- 259 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Hotel Champ-De-Mars
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013