"Pebble Beach and the Del Monte Forest" Pebble Beach by joanj
Pebble Beach Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 390 photos
For many people Pebble Beach immediately means Golf. not just Golf but World Class Star Studded GOLF.
Here is a brief History.
Before the car had become a way of life, 17 mile Drive was navigated by horse-drawn carriages from the famous Hotel Del Monte, now the site of the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey.
It was in 1881 and excoursions through the Forest and along it's spectacular coastline, usually ended up at a picnic spot at Pebble Beach.
1602 Spanish explorers discover and map Monterey Peninsula.
1916, Pebble Beach Golf Links were designed.
1917 Construction begins on Pebble Beach Golf Links.
1919 The golf links are open to the public.
1929 The first national tournament was held at Pebble Beach.
1972 The first of four U.S. Opens is held there.
There are 9 golf courses/links in and around the Del Monte Forest.
The photograph was taken just inside the visitor entrance, and is a bronze of a little boy in a huge pair of golf shoes, holding a man sized golf club.
Here in the courtyard is a shop, and you can browse around the garden area.
Photo by Joan Johnson
When travelling on the 17 mile drive, you will not be the only person to stop and view the Lone Cypress.
The Lone Cypress has been on this rocky perch for over 250 years.
It is photographed, painted, and is most famous for being the emblem of the Pebble Beach Golf Course.
Photo M. Johnson
- In a nutshell:Place for Golfers of the world to be
joanj's Related Pages
Pebble Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Golfer's Paradise or Lonely Cypress?"
- "Pebble Beach is my favorite coastline in the world"
- "Pebble Beach: Nice views and expensive meals"
- "PEBBLE BEACH GOLFERS PARADISE"
- "PEBBLE BEACH - & The 17-Mile Drive!"
- "Views within the 17 Mile Drive at Pebble Beach"
- "cycling through a famous golf course."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pebble Beach
- Hotels in Pebble Beach
- Transportation in Pebble Beach
- Nightlife in Pebble Beach
- Restaurants in Pebble Beach
- Shopping in Pebble Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Pebble Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pebble Beach
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Pebble Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pebble Beach
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barbados Intro, 124 reviews, 195 photos, 10 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sliema Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 7 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues