"Famous Gothic Cathedral" Cologne by joanj
Cologne Travel Guide: 1,653 reviews and 4,402 photos
Cruising down the Rhine, and prior to reaching our landing stage, this lovely view of the Cathedral came into view. The day was a little hazy, and, as it seems whenever I visit cathedrals, they seem to have scaffolding and work in progress. (This was the same in Vienna).
This Gothic Cathedral has been declared a World Cultural Heritage Site, and is Germany's largest Cathedral.
The foundation stone was laid on the 15th August 1248. In the early 16th Century building work was halted partly due to lack of money. Around the turn of the 19th Century however, supporters of the German Romantic movement re-awakened public interest in the completion of the Cathedral.
In 1842 King Friedrich Wilhelm 1V laid the foundation stone for the continuation of the building work. The Cathedral was completed in 1880.
Cologne Cathedral survived World War 11, in spite of extensive bombing, although it was quite badly damaged. The Cathedral building firm is constantly working on it's maintenance and restoration, scaffolding is evidence of the continuous work on the facade.
For those of you who like a beer or two, and exercise at the same time in the company of other likeminded folk, then... more travel advice
joanj's Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Fabulous city with huge cultural heritage."
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barbados Intro, 124 reviews, 195 photos, 10 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sliema Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 7 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues