Salzburg Things to Do Tips by joanj
Salzburg Things to Do: 1,239 reviews and 2,106 photos
If you have plenty of time, as well as doing the walking tours of Salzburg, you could take a sightseeing cruise on one of these small boats.
Directions: If you go to the bridge - Makartsteg, you will see the landing stage.
This small market was behind the street running parallel with the Dom.
This particular stall sold many many types of cheeses.
Other stalls included specialty breads, plants and flowers, toys, souveniers etc.
Directions: near the Cathedral.
Mozart family house
The Mozart family lived here from 1747 - 1773 and their son Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born there in 1756. The family lived on the third floor of the house. Today the house is a Museum opening hours 9am - 6pm - July and August, 9am. - 7pm.
For more detailed information please go to
Address: 9 Getreidegasse. Salzburg
The Cathedral is dedicated to St Rupert and St Virgil. There are three dates on the entrance grilles:-
774 - The Abbot and Bishop Virgil, who came from Ireland, consecrated the first Cathedral.
1628 - The old minster was demolished after a fire. Archbishop Markus Sittikus began the building of this cathedral, Archbishop Paris Lodron consecrated it on September 25th 1628.
1950 - An aerial bomb destroyed the Cathedral dome on October 16th l944. Archbishop Andreas Rohracher directed rebuilding during the difficult post-war period. The Cathedral could be reopened for Roman Cathelic services on May 1st 1959.
For detailed information about the Cathedral etc., please click onSalzburg
Directions: In the heart of the Old City - you can see the steeples from all over Salzburg
Beautiful flower beds
For those of you who have seen the film The Sound of Musicthese gardens need no introduction. For the rest of you, this is a must on your list of places to visit whilst in Salzburg. The gardens are so well looked after, colourful, lots of sculptures, splendid view of the Hohensalzburg Castle, and a pleasant place to just sit and rest for a while after walking round the city.
For garden lovers, you must surely admire the hard work that has gone into making these gardens so beautiful for us to admire.
joanj's Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- "Mozart Music and More"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 11 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barbados Intro, 124 reviews, 195 photos, 10 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sliema Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Colchester Intro, 7 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hohensalzburg Fortress- 196 Reviews, 330 Photos
- Mozart's House- 99 Reviews, 126 Photos
- Mirabell Garden & Castle- 137 Reviews, 225 Photos
- Dome and Cathedral- 87 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Sound of Music Tour- 30 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Getreidegasse- 46 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Salt Mines- 21 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Schloss Hellbrunn- 44 Reviews, 70 Photos
- Residenz and Residenzplatz- 59 Reviews, 116 Photos
- Cemetery- 34 Reviews, 56 Photos
See All Salzburg Things to Do