"Market town of Banbury" Top 5 Page for this destination Banbury by joanj
Banbury Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 215 photos
Banbury in North Oxfordshire is famous for its landmark Cross, Banbury Cakes and "Ride a cock Horse" nursery rhyme.
It is the second town of Oxfordshire, and is a mix of traditional market town and thriving centre for industry, shopping and entertainment.
You can explore the history and heritage of this traditional town, and enjoy the tranquility of the Oxford Canal, visit the Museum and Tooley's Boatyard, or enjoy an event at The Mill Arts Centre.
Pick up a leaflet of the "Historic Town Trail" from the Tourist Information shop, which shows the historic buildings , their sites, and a little information on them.
The nursery rhyme :-
Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross
To see a fine lady on a white horse,
With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes,
She shall have music wherever she goes.
The real story of the rhyme is lost in folklore, and there are several different theories explaining the meaning, but the true origin may never be known. You can pick up a leaflet about the ryhme in the Tourist Information shop.
The Castle Quay shopping centre is situated in the heart of Banbury Town Centre, and is adjacent to the Oxford Canal,... more travel advice
Tooley's is the oldest working dry dock in Britain, and has been in continuous use since 1790 when it was established to... more travel advice
joanj's Related Pages
Banbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "No place like Banbury"
- "Market town of Banbury"
- "Broughton Castle - Close to Banbury"
- "Older than the nursery rhyme"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banbury
- Hotels in Banbury
- Transportation in Banbury
- Nightlife in Banbury
- Restaurants in Banbury
- Shopping in Banbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banbury
- 4 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Banbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banbury
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barbados Intro, 124 reviews, 195 photos, 10 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sliema Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 7 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Banbury hotel reviews
- Hanwell House
- 240 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013