"Comino Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Comino Island by joanj
Comino Island Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 149 photos
Comino Island lies between Malta and Gozo, and is 1 sq. mile in size. It is a barren, rocky wilderness, with jagged cliffs, with two tiny sandy beaches, (emphasis on tiny), coves, creeks, rock tunnels and of course the famous Blue Lagoon.
In 1618 Grand Master Alof de Wignacourt felt the need to protect the Malta Channel efficiently and arranged St. Mary's Tower to be erected on Comino, being equipped and manned by 30 soldiers.
In World War I the British built an isolation hospital on the island for serious cases of infection.
There is one hotel on the island, and I understand from our guide, only two resident families living there. ( A little way from the landing stage, up some steepish steps, you can see a small area for sunbathing, swimming, and two mobile food/drink outlets. See my general tip for photo etc.)
This is the Fernandez that took us on a day trip to Comino Island, where after a wonderful lunch and wine, I was able to swim in the Blue Lagoon. The water was so clear, and deep, but could see the sandy bottom of the sea bed. It was refreshing as it was a hot day.
You can see from this photograph the small sandy "beach" on Comino, and the flat area where you are able to put a deck chair (if you are lucky and get there early I presume)
In the background you can see the island of GOZO
This photograph shows the landing stages for the tour cruise boats.
If you enlarge the picture you will the steps I was referring to in the previous picture. When you reach the top of these steps, you can see the tiny beach etc.
- Pros:Relaxing boat trip there,.
- Cons:only rocks to sunbathe on, no shade
- In a nutshell:worth a boat trip to swim in the clear blue water
If you go by ferry to Comino Island, then you can see from this photograph that there is not a lot of room to do... more travel advice
joanj's Related Pages
Comino Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Comino Island"
- "Comino Island"
- "Island of Comino"
- "The smallest Island of Malta"
- "A place to hide away from the world"
- "Comino Island & the blue lagoon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Comino Island
- Hotels in Comino Island
- Transportation in Comino Island
- Restaurants in Comino Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Comino Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Comino Island
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Comino Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Comino Island
Photos in Comino IslandSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barbados Intro, 124 reviews, 195 photos, 10 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sliema Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Colchester Intro, 7 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 5 travelogues