"Learning To Love History Via..." Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg by deecat
Williamsburg Travel Guide: 781 reviews and 1,257 photos
As a high school student, I was not fond of history classes. I think that I did not really appreciate history until I was a grown woman and visited Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia.
Here, in this perfectly preserved 18th Century American Capital City, I discovered real history. I saw the day-to-day lives of men and women of another era and soon, I wanted to know as much as possible.
Begun in 1699, Williamsburg was named in honor of the king of England, William III. Although Jamestown was the first capital, it was moved to a newly designed city, Williamsburg. Williamsburg was newly built following a predetermined design with a large open area in the center of town (Market Square). A main street was to cross this square in an east-west direction (Duke of Gloucester Street). This city was to be a center of learning (William and Mary College), religion (Bruton Parish Church), and government (Governer's Palace).
Two people responsible for the restoration of Williamsburg were:
Reverent W.A. R. Goodwin, rector of Bruton Parish Church and Mr. John D. Rockerfeller, Jr., philanthopist. These two men made the dream come true, and today Historic Williamsburg is really both a museum and a living city.
Goodwin called Williamsburg the "Cradle of Liberty", and once you visit this historical museum, this living time capsule, this resurrected "Cradle of Liberty", you, too, will love history!
- Pros:Living History, Incredible shopping, great restaurants, super architecture
- In a nutshell:A city that is a museum, a time capsule, and a resurrection of the past.
While visiting Colonial Williamsburg, you cannot forget to also visit Jamestown Settlement. Like Williamsburg, it is a... more travel advice
If you wish to stay in the best that Williamsburg has to offer, then, by all means, stay at the Williamsburg Inn. It is... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Williamsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pompeii of America!"
- "b1bob's Excellent Williamsburg Adventures"
- "Learning To Love History Via..."
- "Williamsburg - Virginia"
- "My Hometown...Williamsburg"
- "WILLIAMSBURG--A Taste of the 18th Century"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Williamsburg
- Hotels in Williamsburg
- Transportation in Williamsburg
- Nightlife in Williamsburg
- Restaurants in Williamsburg
- Shopping in Williamsburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Williamsburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Williamsburg
- 29 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Williamsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Williamsburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Williamsburg travel pages
- updated a Williamsburg Travelogue "The Historic Triangle"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Historic Triangle"
- Wrote a Review Jamestown Settlement & Yorktown Victory Center. in Williamsburg Off The Beaten Path
Photos in WilliamsburgSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos