"Learning To Love History Via..." Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg by deecat

Williamsburg Travel Guide: 781 reviews and 1,257 photos

Colonial Williamsburg

As a high school student, I was not fond of history classes. I think that I did not really appreciate history until I was a grown woman and visited Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia.

Here, in this perfectly preserved 18th Century American Capital City, I discovered real history. I saw the day-to-day lives of men and women of another era and soon, I wanted to know as much as possible.

Begun in 1699, Williamsburg was named in honor of the king of England, William III. Although Jamestown was the first capital, it was moved to a newly designed city, Williamsburg. Williamsburg was newly built following a predetermined design with a large open area in the center of town (Market Square). A main street was to cross this square in an east-west direction (Duke of Gloucester Street). This city was to be a center of learning (William and Mary College), religion (Bruton Parish Church), and government (Governer's Palace).

Two people responsible for the restoration of Williamsburg were:
Reverent W.A. R. Goodwin, rector of Bruton Parish Church and Mr. John D. Rockerfeller, Jr., philanthopist. These two men made the dream come true, and today Historic Williamsburg is really both a museum and a living city.

Goodwin called Williamsburg the "Cradle of Liberty", and once you visit this historical museum, this living time capsule, this resurrected "Cradle of Liberty", you, too, will love history!

• Pros:Living History, Incredible shopping, great restaurants, super architecture
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:A city that is a museum, a time capsule, and a resurrection of the past.
  • Last visit to Williamsburg: Oct 1995
  • Intro Updated May 28, 2005

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM

What a National Treasury. This is marvelous. What a great and historic place to visit and to do a little each day is terrific. Enjoyed all the history, architecture, and a great time share

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Hard to believe this is my first visit to your excellent Wiliamsburg page. I loved it there myself, and you have certainly done it justice with your enthusiastic descriptions, and also shown me many things that I missed :-)

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM

How beautiful: the place and your page, Dee! I was drowned in your descriptions and I learned so much about the first days of the colonies; I knew from name, and now my preconceived views of America changed! And there are even historical restaurants! :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2009 at 7:06 AM

Hi, Dee! I would pay a visit to Williamsburg with pleasure too... Thanks for your nice story! ><

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Dee you do one of our national treasures proud. Thanks for your knowledge and insights but most of all for your appreciation of Williamsburg.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Though the name of Williamsburg is famous, I had no idea of what to expect! Thanks for sharing! Fascinating Mary Stith Shop!

• Jan 2, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Very worth a second visit. This is a location that I would very much enjoy visiting. You descriptions and information are very helpful.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 6:44 AM

top page. nice to see the colonials have a little history in places

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for your info Dee...have a great weekend!

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Wonderful! And again saying hello with my best of wishes for your happiness on your birthday and always! Maria

deecat

Badges & Stats in Williamsburg

Have you been to Williamsburg?