"Lancaster, Ohio: Historic Beauty" Lancaster by deecat
Lancaster Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 38 photos
Being history and architectual buffs, Jill and I knew that we just had to visit Lancaster, Ohio. Revolutionary War veteran, Army Colonel Ebenezar Zane, helped settle Lancaster, Ohio, along the banks of the Hock Hocking River. The people who settled here were from both the northeast and the southeast.
The town itself was established 3 years before the state of Ohio. As Jill and I drove into town, we immediately commented about the "wealth" of the area. We later learned in one of the museums that it was indeed a wealthy area because so many lawyers moved here!
Lancaster has four National Register Historic Districts; the area has the oldest mill in Ohio (Rock Mill); there are more covered bridges in this county than any other in Ohio; Lancaster has glass-making companies, The Decorative Arts Center of Ohio is located here; a new Glass Museum opens at the end of May 2006; there are several historic museums and houses in town; and Ohio State University Lancaster is also located here.
It's obvious that there is an active art community, citizens who value their history, and a city that saves and restores its lovely architecture.
The only negatives that Jill and I experienced here was a mediocre lunch, a poor tour guide at the Sherman House, and very bad signage for travel directions.
However, the beauty, culture, architecture, and friendly atmosphere far outweighs any small negatives that we experienced.
- Pros:Architecture, culture, covered bridges, museums
- Cons:Poor road sinage at times
- In a nutshell:Lancaster, Ohio is a real "gem" here in beautiful Ohio.
The Georgian was built from 1830-1833 by Daniel Sifford. Thank goodness, this elegant old home was saved from destructed... more travel advice
Fairfield County has almost 20 covered bridges still standing, which remind us of the way life used to be. In the 1950s,... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Lancaster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lancaster, Ohio: Historic Beauty"
- "Lancaster, OH"
- "Basaic Lancaster Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lancaster
- 11 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Lancaster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lancaster
Photos in LancasterSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos