"A Beautifully-restored 1800s Canal Town..." Coshocton by deecat

Coshocton Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 32 photos

Historic Roscoe Village, Coshocton, Ohio

A friend of Jill's suggested that we visit Coshocton, Ohio to see the Historic Roscoe Village, and we were certainly glad that we did!

Roscoe Village restoration came about because of Edward and Frances Montgomery. Edward grew up in nearby Coshocton and wanted to see the once beautiful Roscoe Village renovated. This couple founded the Edmont Company in Coshocton and developed a revolutionary method for treating cotton flannel industrial gloves with latex. They made lots of money, and when, he retired, he and his wife, Frances Montgomery, decided to use that money to start the process of restoring the decaying Roscoe Village back to its earlier 1800s splendor.

How fortunate for all of us that they had the forsight, money, and desire to make their dream come true. That dream lives on through the not-for profit corporation they created. Today's Roscoe Village is entertaining and educational as well as a living museum dedicated to keeping the spirit of that once-thriving canal town alive.

• Pros:Historic, well-run, entertaining, enlightening, beautiful
  • In a nutshell:A living museum to the canal era in Ohio
  • Last visit to Coshocton: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 15, 2006

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2010 at 1:26 PM

very interesting page

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2010 at 7:31 PM

your page reminded me of my visits to Shakers Village in Birkshires, MA and Mystic Seaport, CT. very interesting. the horse drawn boat concept looks very innovative.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2010 at 8:22 AM

What an interesting page! I enjoyed reading about the early days on the canal especially. I love these "living hstory" places and have been to so many good ones in the US, so I know I would love this too!

• Jan 12, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Such good photos of you and Jill in the "hidden" photos. What a find. Just the kind of town I would enjoy because of the history. So much to learn right here in the States.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Hi, Dee! ><>< Thanx for your artistic and colorful description of that town!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM

The canal boat ride and the old tavern looks absolutely charming. I always enjoy your travels Dee, you've preserved another wonderful town for others to enjoy in VT. Wonderful page!

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Love these tips......so much information. Beautiful little town packed with such history. You two did so much.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2009 at 3:24 AM

"I got a mule and her name is Sal..." Wow. This is my type of destination. You know I love the historical towns. And a trip on the canal? Too cool. Thanks.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 3:49 AM

The charm of this little township comes through well in your page, Dee. The Roscoe Village museum sounds like a "must visit", just as a ride in a horse-drawn canal boat seems a "must do".

• Aug 11, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Prior to visiting this page, I was unaware of the existence of Roscoe Village. Thank goodness I found this page!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Coshocton

Have you been to Coshocton?