Columbus Favorite Tips by deecat Top 5 Page for this destination

Columbus Favorites: 23 reviews and 20 photos

Discovery Park - Columbus

Discovery Park

Outdoor Art in Columbus

Favorite thing: I just learned that Columbus, Ohio has been heralded as one of top 10 cities for art! This is for cities of 500,000 populations at least. It's featured in the June, 2006 "American Style Magazine"

Before I read this "newsflash", I personally was impressed with the Outdoor Art Pieces in Columbus.
I.
As teachers, Jill and I were attracted to the Discovery Park sculptures. This is the 1st Park devoted specifically to honor Ohio's public educators. Jill and I belong to the Illinois State Teachers Retirement System, and we were impressed that it was the "Friends of the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio (80th anniversary celebration)" that funded this project. "The park has the names of thousands of former and current STRS Ohio members who have helped others DISCOVER the joys and the value of learning."

But, the highlight of this display is the wonderful outdoor sculpture of children climbing with the supervision of teachers. The kids are climbing among the numbers and letters we teach them in America's public schools.

Fondest memory: II.
At 140 Town Center in conjunction with the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund, another outdoor art display exists. It's the "Ohio Police & Fire Memorial Park" that "honors the memory of the heroes who serve and protect the citizens of Ohio."

The park and monument honors the commitment, heroism, and ultimate sacrifice of these men and women. It was commissioned in 2003 by the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund with many other benefactos who are listed.

The Sculpture depics and fireman and a policeman with a small child. Nearby is a park setting with flowers and benches as well as trees. It's quite a memorial.

These are just two examples of the wonderful art in Columbus, Ohio

• Updated May 17, 2006
Homeless Person on Park Bench - Columbus

Homeless Person on Park Bench

Homeless in Columbus

Favorite thing: In almost any city of good size in the United States, you will see homeless people either begging on the streets, sleeping in the parks, or loitering here and there. We had not seen any of these instances until we journeyed to the Old Deaf School Park on a Saturday morning. We were busy looking at the beautiful park, the architecture of the school and the gift shop, taking photographs galore when suddenly, I notice a body all enfolded in either blankets or a sleeping bag on one of the park benches near the upopened gift shop. I proceed cautiously to check it out, and my first assumption was correct...it was a person with their belongs nearby.

It was a startling realization, that sadness exists even in the most lovely settings. I backed away for some distance before I took a photograph. The entire time we were in the park (at least half an hour), the person continued to sleep. I do so hope that the person was actually sleeping and not hurt or dead!

You have to
click on the photo to see because it is so far away.

Fondest memory: This situation is, by no means, my fondest memory of Columbus. It is a rare moment in time that puts me back into the realm of reality, which I sometimes lose as I vacation.

• Updated May 17, 2006
Trinity Church, Columbus, Ohio - Columbus

Trinity Church, Columbus, Ohio

Imposing Edifice of Beauty

Favorite thing: While staying at the Hyatt on Capitol Square, both Jill and I were intrigued by the imposing edifice across the street; thus, we went to investigate. It turns out that this huge building is the Trinity Episcopal Church. Now, this is an old building. As the plaque indicates, it was organized in 1817, incorporated in 1832, and the present building was erected in 1869.

It's a Gothic Revival period building that takes up about one block of Broad and Third Streets. It's designated Historic Landmark, which we are thankful for...it cannot be destroyed by encroaching development.

On one side of the church, we noticed a door that was designated for free meals; therefore, we assume that they have a program for the homeless and the poor. (I sure to approve of that).

We kind of "giggled" when we saw another sign for the very lowest area (down some steps to a basement-like area) that indicated a PUB CRAWL. I have no idea what a Pub Crawl has to do with a church, but it appears that they serve Beer, and it is part of going from spot to spot to try different beers. Just when I think that I have heard it all, something new comes up to surprise me.

Fondest memory: If anyone knows about this Pub Crawl situation, let me hear from you.

I will tell you that as a lover of old buildings and beautiful architecture, I was simply fascinated by this incredible Trinity Episcopal Church structure..

125 East Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio
614-221-5351

• Written May 17, 2006

deecat

Badges & Stats in Columbus

Have you been to Columbus?

Latest Activity in Columbus