""Meet Me In St. Louis" is Not Just a Song Title" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Louis by deecat
Saint Louis Travel Guide: 1,159 reviews and 2,108 photos
On Saturday, April 17, my fellow retired teacher and long-time friend, Jill Martin, and I began a week's vacation in Missouri. We stayed in a Time Share Resort located about an hour from Saint Louis. Mid-week, we drove into the city, staying overnight at the Historic Union Station Hyatt Hotel.
At the time that we decided to make this trip, Jill and I had no idea that Saint Louis was in the beginning of another year-long centennial party. In 1804, Saint Louis experienced the launch of the Lewis and Clark expedition, which resulted in many celebrations; in 1904, Saint Louis celebrated the cenntennial of that Lewis and Clark expedition with an extravagant 1904 World's Fair (Louisiana Purchase Exposition) as well as the first Olympic Games held in the U.S.A.
Now, in 2004, Saint Louis celebrates both the 1804 Lewis and Clark exposition and the 1904 World's Fair in real style.
The city has spent millions to restore Forest Park (the original site of the 1904 Fair). Today, Forest Park is home to the Zoo, the Art Museum, the Missouri History Museum, the Grand Basin, the World's Fair Pavilion, the Muny Outdoor Theatre, the Jewel Box (the indoor floral conservatory), and a golf course. In addition to this vast restoration, many exhibitions celebrating Lewis and Clark and the World's Fair are currently opened and scheduled to last through the Fall.
On this trip, Jill and I rediscovered our old friend, Saint Louis. Delighted with all the improvements, we were thrilled to join this historical Centennial Party...and what a party it is!
- Pros:Nice size, Great Monuments, Superior Park, Clean
- Cons:Confusing Sign Directions While Entering City
- In a nutshell:Combination of Culture, Southern Charm, Midwestern Friendliness
If I were traveling with children in Saint Louis, there are a few "must see" sites besides the St. Louis Zoo that I... more travel advice
Ted Drewes Frozen Custard has been a St. Louis tradition since 1929. It's an old 1950's "walk-up kind of place", and its... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Saint Louis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Louis Has Many Surprises, for Everyone!"
- "The Symbols of the City"
- ""Meet Me In St. Louis" is Not Just a Song Title"
- "Saint Louis"
- "My Home Town"
- "The Gateway to East Central Missouri"
- "St. Louiis - Gateway to the Wild Wild West"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Louis
- Hotels in Saint Louis
- Transportation in Saint Louis
- Nightlife in Saint Louis
- Restaurants in Saint Louis
- Shopping in Saint Louis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Louis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Louis
- 25 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 62 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Saint Louis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Louis
- updated a Saint Louis Travel Page ""Meet Me In St. Louis" is Not Just a Song Title"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Saint Louis travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "One of the Best in the Nation"
- Wrote a Review Activities Especially Tailored For Children about Kids Stuff in Saint Louis Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos