""Meet Me In St. Louis" is Not Just a Song Title" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Louis by deecat

Saint Louis Travel Guide: 1,123 reviews and 1,960 photos

We "Rediscovered" Saint Louis

On Saturday, April 17, my fellow retired teacher and long-time friend, Jill Martin, and I began a week's vacation in Missouri. We stayed in a Time Share Resort located about an hour from Saint Louis. Mid-week, we drove into the city, staying overnight at the Historic Union Station Hyatt Hotel.

At the time that we decided to make this trip, Jill and I had no idea that Saint Louis was in the beginning of another year-long centennial party. In 1804, Saint Louis experienced the launch of the Lewis and Clark expedition, which resulted in many celebrations; in 1904, Saint Louis celebrated the cenntennial of that Lewis and Clark expedition with an extravagant 1904 World's Fair (Louisiana Purchase Exposition) as well as the first Olympic Games held in the U.S.A.

Now, in 2004, Saint Louis celebrates both the 1804 Lewis and Clark exposition and the 1904 World's Fair in real style.

The city has spent millions to restore Forest Park (the original site of the 1904 Fair). Today, Forest Park is home to the Zoo, the Art Museum, the Missouri History Museum, the Grand Basin, the World's Fair Pavilion, the Muny Outdoor Theatre, the Jewel Box (the indoor floral conservatory), and a golf course. In addition to this vast restoration, many exhibitions celebrating Lewis and Clark and the World's Fair are currently opened and scheduled to last through the Fall.

On this trip, Jill and I rediscovered our old friend, Saint Louis. Delighted with all the improvements, we were thrilled to join this historical Centennial Party...and what a party it is!

• Pros:Nice size, Great Monuments, Superior Park, Clean
  • Cons:Confusing Sign Directions While Entering City
  • In a nutshell:Combination of Culture, Southern Charm, Midwestern Friendliness
  • Last visit to Saint Louis: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2005

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Hi, Dee! Thanks for your informative and creative page! It's a pleasure to read your travel stories always! ><><><>< *

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 10:57 AM

It's obvious that you do your "homework"before you visit a location. This is amazing and that hotel is outstanding. What a wonderful trip for the two of you.

• Jan 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM

The Zoo, the museums, the train station, the great restaurant....What a spectacular job you have done with these pages. City of St. Louis must be thrilled.

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2009 at 9:28 AM

We're here on Dec 26th with local friends looking for something new to do...thanks for the tips!--alan

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Back for another look at this 5-star page! Fabulous information about the city. Your enthusiasm is contagious! We spent our 1st anniversary year in 1976!! My in-laws paid for our dinner at Stan Musial's!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Another comprehensive page with a lot of useful info! I liked the Museum of Westward Expansion and the Gateway Arch tips. We know about Westward Expansion from Fenimor Cooper books which every Russian read in early ages....

• Sep 4, 2008 at 12:29 PM

The RailCruise St. Louis Union Station train was sold in 2006. The dinners are no longer available.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Union station is incredible! Now that it has been turned to something else than a station, when hispeed trains will take over jets and come back, they will need a new station! I only know the airport and a hotel where we spent a few hours going to Hawai!

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 6:54 AM

The Grand Hall is absolutely stunning. I would love to go to these american cities where hardly no visitorsgo!!! Letthe crowd go to New York, hahaha :)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 1:59 AM

I once changed planes here (so saw the Gateway Arch from the air) and of course I know the song, but I never realised there was so much to St Louis until I read these excellent pages. Thanks for opening my eyes to another US city for the "wish list"!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Saint Louis

Have you been to Saint Louis?