"Oldest City on the Missouri River" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Charles by deecat
Saint Charles Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 86 photos
Saint Charles was the LAST place we stayed on our Missouri trip, but I keep it in FIRST place in my memories. Like Ste. Genevieve, Kimmswick, and Saint Louis, Saint Charles is a River Town, an historic town,a restored town. Yet, it's even more...it's a town "Where History Comes Alive Everyday!" Yes, the town's motto is correct. While visiting Saint Charles, one is transported to another century. The gaslights, the brick paved streets, and the authentically restored buildings extend the entire length of Main Street, Missouri's largest Historic District. The ten block-long Main Street is a shopper and/or historians' delight. Saint Charles is notes for the ornate iron work on the balcony's and Stone Row houses where the front of the building faces the river and the side of the house faces Main Street.
At first, Saint Charles was Spanish owned and the district of San Carlos after 1769. In 1804 it became Saint Charles.
As seen in the photograph, these duplex or double houses and row houses were unique to this area.
Some interesting facts we discovered while we stayed in St. Charles:
Saint Charles was settled in 1769 by Louis Blanchette, a French Canadian who was a hunter and fur trader.
Saint Charles flew the flags of 3 countries during one day's time: They were owned by the Spanish, then the French, and finally the United States.
Daniel Boone came to Saint Charles and became a judge in the town in 1820. He lived and was buried nearby in Marthasville, Missouri. He was here and met with Lewis and Clark.
Here on the Missouri River Lewis and Clark organized and tranversed to North Dakota, which took one year.
Jean Baptiste Pointe du Sable (founder of Chicago) is buried here in Saint Charles.
This was the temporary capitol city for five years.
There was a huge flood here in 1993, but the town survived.
Restoration of Saint Charles started in 1965. I'm impressed with the care taken to preserve the buildings and the area; countless organization and individuals had the insight to see the value of its heritage and so worked hard to preserve it. While visiting, I had the feeling that I was in an earlier century. It evoked an imaginary journey through history.
What a perfect place to stay while ending a perfect trip.
- Pros:Paved Brick Streets, Gas Lights, River Boats, Restored Buildings, Upscale Shops
- In a nutshell:A Charming Town That Rekindles the Pioneer Spirit of America
Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark were in St. Charles for 5 days in May of 1804. They used the Missouri River... more travel advice
First State Capitol of Missouri 200-215 S. Main St. (636-940-3322) St. Charles, Missouri Restored Federal style... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Saint Charles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oldest City on the Missouri River"
- "Take a walk back in time"
- "Show Me Historic Missouri"
- "Original Missouri State Capital"
- "brdwtchr's new Saint Charles Page"
- "My Las Vegas Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Charles
- Hotels in Saint Charles
- Transportation in Saint Charles
- Nightlife in Saint Charles
- Restaurants in Saint Charles
- Shopping in Saint Charles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Charles
- 14 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Saint Charles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Charles
Photos in Saint CharlesSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos