Kimmswick Off The Beaten Path Tips by deecat
Kimmswick Off The Beaten Path: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Grave of Wilhelmine Kimm in Private Cemetery
Kimmswick was laid out in 1858 by a German named Theodore Kimm. He named the town after himself & added the German word "wick", which means town or village.
At that time, the St. Louis/Iron Mountain, Southern Railroad came through Kimmswick, so by 1858 people started to arrive. There were settlers, farmers, & tradesmen. The town grew & had an iron forge, grist mill, brewery, limestone quarries, & green houses (they shipped flowers to St. Louis.
Like St. Louis, Kimmswick was laid out in the grid pattern of blocks, subdivided by lots & alleyways. There were several hotels, a lumber yard, slaughter house, saloons, mercantile stores, jewelry store, blacksmith, butcher shop, a bootery, and three schools, "one for whites, one for blacks, & St. Joseph Catholic School (which remained until 1999)".
Mrs. Kimm passed away in St. Louis in 1876 and was buried in Jefferson Square Park beside their only child, Ernest Peltzer Kimm.
"Montesano Park, an amusement park owned by the Columbia Excursion Company was located on the north side of town. It featured a hotel, restaurant, dance pavilion, a boating lake, merry-go-round, roller coaster, pony track, bowling alleys, shooting gallery, & tent show. The park attracted many visitors who arrived by Steamboats & Trains. The Park closed in 1918".
When automobiles became the main form of transportation, & the new highways were built (which passed the town by), everything slowed down. Businesses moved to the new highways, & Kimmswick was forgotten.
Old buildings were torn down (National Hotel, the Bank, & the Woodsman Hall)
In the 1970's Lucianna Gladney Ross started restoration of the town. Old log buildings were moved here from other sites to be preserved. But now, the Huck Finn river boat paddles down from St. Louis on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month from May through October & docks..
Even though it's still "Off the Beaten Path", it's now alive with shops, restaurants, & a Bed and Breakfast.
More Reviews (14)
- See All The Arnold House is now "Traditions &...
- See All The Vaughn-Nies House is Now a Shop...
- See All 1770 Log House Serves As Restaurant
deecat's Related Pages
Kimmswick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kimmswick's Motto: Where Yesteryear Becomes Today"
- Create a Kimmswick Travel Page
- Things to Do in Kimmswick
- Hotels in Kimmswick
- Restaurants in Kimmswick
- Shopping in Kimmswick
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tunica Hotels
- Tagbilaran Hotels
- Vavatsinia Hotels
- Lesterville Hotels
- Down on the Beach
- Mysore Off The Beaten Path
- Chichester Off The Beaten Path
- Independence Off The Beaten Path
- Ankara Off The Beaten Path
- Perth Off The Beaten Path
- Belfast Off The Beaten Path
- Hvar Off The Beaten Path
- Beyond the Highway
- Hellevoetsluis Off The Beaten Path
- Beaufort Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Kimmswick
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Kimmswick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kimmswick
Photos in KimmswickSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos