"Traverse City Michigan and the Region Around It" Top 5 Page for this destination Traverse City by deecat

Traverse City Travel Guide: 123 reviews and 256 photos

Perfect Weather, Location, and Travel Partner

Starting early on a Monday morning on May 17, 2010, my long-time teacher friend, Mickey [Michelle] and I left my house in my car to travel a little over six hours to Traverse City, Michigan where we planned to explore the region for four days. The temperature was perfect for a road trip...in the low 70's. We did not stop until after 3 1/2 hours to eat breakfast.
After being revitalized via food and drink, we took off again.

Our first stop was at our Traverse City Hampton Inn two miles outside of Traverse City. Luckily for us, our room was ready. We unpacked and took off again. Our first stop was the Traverse City Visitor's Center where we gathered maps and more information. Both Mickey and I had done plenty of research before starting our trip, but we were able to gather new pamphlets and maps at the center.

Thus began our lovely 4-day trip that we enjoyed immensely. The time was filled with wine tasting, shopping, visiting historic lighthouses, hiking at the Sleeping Bear National Dunes Park, and eating delicious food. Oh, yes, I cannot forget, we also tasted the local ice cream, which is a tradition of ours!

• Pros:This area of Michigan is beautiful with friendly people and plenty to do.
  • In a nutshell:Traverse City is an excellent location for visitng other historic towns; close to the Dunes, and filled with Good Places to Eat
  • Last visit to Traverse City: May 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 1, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I enjoyed coming on this trip with you and Mickey :-)The Commons sound great - how lovely that local people rescued it all! I have never thought of exploring this area but I see from your tips and photos that it has much that would appeal to me. The Old Mission General Store is exactly the sort of shop I love to poke around in when we're on our road trips :-) And well done on climbing that dune!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2010 at 4:23 AM

Hello, Dee! You made a great trip and created another superb page! Thanks a lot!

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Superior page with lots ofhelpful information and personal insights. What a beautiful area to visit. So much to do and see. Wonderful restaurant tips.

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2010 at 12:08 AM

You have a wonderful personal style in your writing! Its addictive!. Fascinating pages:)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM

So glad I returned to this page for a longer look--it's terrific, Dee!! You two found some very charming spots to visit. My husband & son are leaving this week for Annual Northern Michigan fishing trip!

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Dee, such a fantastic time with your friend. Great page, well done!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Dee, what a fantastic page with amazing photos! I never realized Michigan had such adventures as the Old Mission Penisula & places like Grand Traverse Commons! Hey, that is one big dune you climbed!! Great tips here.

• Jun 10, 2010 at 12:34 PM

You and Mickey really know how to trave and to select good restaurants and wine tasting places. Sounds like so much fun plus the weather was fantastic.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Me again, coming back to have a look at the tips that you have added since May 31st. I think it's great that a local initiative was able to create the Grand Traverse Commons project. Just goes to show what people can do when they get together and do it.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Ah.Ha! I knew an ice cream shop would be discovered.lol! I absolutely love the historic Opera House, Bakery, Traverse Hospital and all the other lovely buildings. They all have their own charm. Looks like the weather was wonderful too. Excellent page Dee!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Traverse City

Have you been to Traverse City?

Latest Activity in Traverse City