"Celebrating Summer's End" Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven by deecat

South Haven Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 203 photos

Enticing Setting & Unrivaled Cuisine

My friend of twenty years, Mickey [Michelle], and I decided we needed "an end of summer celebration"; thus began a planning session for a three-day trip to Michigan. We knew that we wanted somewhere low-key, relaxing, beautiful, packed with choices, and that assured us some delicious food.

[We don't ask for much, do we?]

I had been to Saugatuck, Michigan over 25 years ago but had never been to Douglas or South Haven, Michigan; Mickey had not visited any of these locations. We had heard that the Fall was a good time to visit in order to avoid the crowds. Now, we just had to select a time and a Bed & Breakfast. Mickey is especially busy commuting between here and Miami [where her husband has a 6-month assignment] so our times were limited.
Finally, we chose September 14,15,16. Then, after much research, we selected South Haven as our central location and Yelton Manor Bed & Breakfast for our accommodations.

All of these decisions turned out to be perfect. South Haven is small but filled with shops, restaurants, beaches, and parks. Fall, especially the three days in September that we chose, turned out to be picture perfect. The Yelton Manor Bed & Breakfast turned out to be just as excellent as all the literature indicated. And, fortunately, the food establishments [at least all of our choices], turned out to be fantastic.

We treasured each day of our stay, and now I want to take my husband Allan there to enjoy the glorious sunsets, the outstanding cuisine, the beautiful beaches, the lovelyl Bed and Breakfast... and, with the addition of playing the great golf courses.

• Pros:Picturesque, Blissful, Captivating, Friendly, & Idyllic
  • In a nutshell:Relaxing atmosphere in Fall during the Week; A variety of activities; laidback yet spirited!
  • Last visit to South Haven: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2009

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Interesting South Haven travel pages. As usual you provide excellent restaurant and shopping tips. The sunset at South Haven is certainly beautiful. Thanks for your virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2011 at 7:37 PM

To be able to sit back and enjoy that very lovely sunset is very relaxing to me. Dee, your pages are always delightful and helpful. Your pages are one of best!

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2010 at 10:04 AM

You have a knsck for taking the reader on the trip with you to South Haven. The meals sounds just delicious. What beautiful weather you had and what fun. The trail you took looks excellent.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2010 at 2:45 PM

You descriptions with such great detail enhances the pictures that were taken. I got through here once, and not enough time spent-Great job

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2010 at 4:51 AM

Hello, Dee! I'm glad for you! Such a great place to enjoy.... Thanks for your splendid story and pictures! ><><><

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Fantastic page about visit with your friend. It's always good to do this friends' time isn't it?

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Dee, fantastic page about South Haven which seems to be well worth a visit. I especially like the Pier and Lighthouse. It looks like you really enjoyed your restaurant visits in this town.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 11:04 PM

You have had a wonderful three-day trip to Michigan with your friend. Sunsets must have been glorious. The ice-cream from the Captain Nemo's looks really yummy, haha!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2009 at 3:56 AM

I love South Haven. Hans and I have been there a few times over the years. Love the beach - love the lighthouse - great restaurants - a simply wonderful spot for a few day getaway and sure looks like you two enjoyed your stay. Great B &B by the way.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Great sunset but my favorite here is the pier & lighthouse. Now, Dee, how do you expect to stay so slim and trim indulging at Nemo's? :))) Ciao bella, Carol

deecat

Badges & Stats in South Haven

Have you been to South Haven?

Latest Activity in South Haven