Saugatuck Off The Beaten Path Tips by deecat Top 5 Page for this destination
Saugatuck Off The Beaten Path: 4 reviews and 11 photos
Parrot In the Square
One of the shops that Mickey and I enjoyed viewing, mostly because of the lovely garden in front of the store was called Parrot in the Square. We were in awe of the flowers, the garden setting, and the fantastic merchandise of clothing for women as well as accessories.
As a lover of flowers and gardens, I was enthralled with this lovely space in front of this woman's store. We questioned the sales person and she told us a little about the garden and how this was the best year for the flowers [probably because of the unusually cool weather].
1. The entrance to Parrot in the Square Shop
2. Mickey posing in the garden
3. Huge and perfectly shaped Mum plant.
4. Dee in the Parrot in the Square garden entrance
The clothing in the store was extremely beautiful and quite expensive, but our real interest was with the decor outside.
Phone: (261) 857-8085
Dee Enjoying Douglas, Michigan
Just across the Kalamazoo River from Saugatuck, you are able to enjoy Douglas, Michigan. It has an historic main street with Early American style homes, absolutely lovely shops, and a sweet town clock. There is a very small marina and dock at the park on the river. The town is named after Stephen A. Douglas, American statesman, and incorporated as a village in 1970; however, settlers came here in 1951.
Douglas was a "lumber village" and a port for schooners and steamships that carried lumber and other supplies to Chicago and the rest of the Great Lakes area. Known at one time for its baseball team and its basket factory; today, Douglas thrives on tourism. It consists of restored houses, beautiful shops, some quaint restaurants, an old schoolhouse [the oldest in Michigan], and an idyllic atmosphere.
1. This bronze sculpture of children adds such beauty to the small park on the main street.
2. Mickey took this photo of me in front of one of lovely shops which has a gorgeous little garden.
3. The town sported Autumn banners which made for a festive atmosphere.
Mickey and I agreed that the most elegant and lovely shops during our 3-day trip to South Haven, Saugatuck, and Douglas were found in this small village called Douglas.
More Reviews (11)
- See All Historic Saugatuck Village Hall
- See All The Keewatin Maritime Museum
- This Trip Requires a Car
deecat's Related Pages
Saugatuck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mid-Week Adventure"
- "Quaint Town of B&B's and boutiques"
- "The Art Coast of Michigan"
- "SAUGATUCK / DOUGLAS"
- "Gregs new Saugatuck Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saugatuck
- Hotels in Saugatuck
- Transportation in Saugatuck
- Restaurants in Saugatuck
- Shopping in Saugatuck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saugatuck
- 13 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Saugatuck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saugatuck
- updated a Saugatuck Travel Page "Mid-Week Adventure"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Unique Shops in Douglas, Michigan"
- Wrote a Review Unique Shops in Douglas, Michigan in Saugatuck Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Toughluck's Saugatuck travel pages
Photos in SaugatuckSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos