"Mid-Week Adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Saugatuck by deecat
Saugatuck Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 133 photos
The sister cities of Saugatuck and Douglas are quite unique. The area is known for its wonderful perch fishing, exploration of the vast sand dunes, the famed Oxbow Summer School affiliated with the Art Institute of Chicago, fine restaurants, art galleries and boutiques.
Douglas is one of the oldest villages in the state and is known as "a quaint and picturesque village with 19th century architecture and 21st century merchandise."
Saugatuck is located on the shores of Lake Michigan and the Kalazazoo River and next to the steep dunes and the lush orchards of the countryside.
The SAUGATUCK DUNES STATE PARK & THE ALLEGAN STATE FOREST are nearby. There are Greek Revival, Italianate, Arts and Crafts, and Colonial Revival styles of architecture.
Both Douglas and Saugatuck are known today as resort communities with strong appeal to artists and artisans. They were once into lumbering, shipbuilding, and fruit farming industries. Orchards and vineyards still abound.
So, take your pick...nature, history, art, architecture, fishing, boating...they are all here for the taking OR if you just want to relax and mellow out, that's quite acceptable. Whatever you do, it will seem better in the Saugatuck/Douglas area.
- Pros:Small-town America, laid back, artistic, Quaint
- Cons:Very crowded on weekend and in the summer
- In a nutshell:An artistic enclave which also offers multiple Outdoor Activities
One of the shops that Mickey and I enjoyed viewing, mostly because of the lovely garden in front of the store was called... more travel advice
One of the strange happenings in this area has to do with a town that disappeared: Singapore, Michigan. The only... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Saugatuck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mid-Week Adventure"
- "Quaint Town of B&B's and boutiques"
- "The Art Coast of Michigan"
- "SAUGATUCK / DOUGLAS"
- "Gregs new Saugatuck Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saugatuck
- Hotels in Saugatuck
- Transportation in Saugatuck
- Restaurants in Saugatuck
- Shopping in Saugatuck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saugatuck
- 13 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Saugatuck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saugatuck
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- updated a Saugatuck Travel Page "Mid-Week Adventure"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Unique Shops in Douglas, Michigan"
- Wrote a Review Unique Shops in Douglas, Michigan in Saugatuck Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Toughluck's Saugatuck travel pages
Photos in SaugatuckSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos