"Dripping With History" Top 5 Page for this destination Vincennes by deecat
Vincennes Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 134 photos
Visiting Vincennes, Indiana, was the perfect fit for me. I just love history, architecture, American Indians, and Midwestern friendliness. Vincennes "fits the bill"!
So, if you are like I am, and you want to visit a place where Indiana had its beginning; where the Indian Chief, Tecumseh, walked; where the ninth president of the United States lived and worked; where the battle of Tippecanoe was prepared for; where the first free press in Indiana was born; where the first library in Indiana became a reality; where the first University was established; where an American hero saved a fort which, in turn, created the Northwest Territory [and made Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and parts of Minnesotab possible], then you should, by all means, visit this historic city on the Wabash River, VINCENNES, INDIANA.
Vincennes's beginnings were quite humble. It was a French fur trading outpost in 1732. It was one of many forts in the area that was an attempt to stop British expansion. And it was George Rogers Clark and his small army of "sharpshooters" who took the largest land conquest in the Revolutionary War away from the British in 1779. By 1800, the Indiana Territory was formed, and Vincennes became its capitol.
Today, you can visit Vinceness to see, hear, and experience all this history, and you will leave here realizing that you've just seen how a humble fur trading outpost became so important to America's history.
Vincennes, Indiana, was named in honor of French Canadian, Francois-Marie Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes (1700-1737)
He built a fort here to protect the claims of France in the New World .
He was burned at the stake by Chickasaw Indians near the present town of Fulton, Tennessee.
- Pros:Steeped in History, Friendly People, Many Firsts In INDIANA
- Cons:Parts are so old and ill attended, that, sadly, they need to be torn down for safety's sake.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful old town on the Wabash river that is steeped in history
After parking our car and visiting the Visitor Center, we looked up and noticed an historic Mural painted on the north... more travel advice
You are requested to stop first at the Visitor Center. This is very important because you cannot get into the Memorial... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Vincennes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dripping With History"
- "Vincennes, IN U.S.A"
- "HISTORICAL VINCENNES"
- "Indiana's Oldest City"
- "cptcaveman's new Vincennes Page"
- "Vincennes and its attractions"
- "French, English and the American Revolution"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vincennes
- 27 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Vincennes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vincennes
Photos in VincennesSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos