Richmond Shopping Tips by deecat
Richmond Shopping: 3 reviews and 3 photos
Senior Opportunities Service Craft Shop
While walking around in the Historic Districts, Jill and I saw a beautiful mural painted on the back of a building. We stopped to investigate and were delighted to see the mural of this building as a grocery store at "the turn of the century" when it was called "Cutter's Corner". From the little I could discover about it, I found that a man named Henry Cuter had a Grocery Store at the southeast corner of 4th and South D in 1909.
Today, it is still a story, not a grocery store. The sign out front (see photo) says: "Cutter's Corner Home of Senior Opportunities Services CRAFT SHOP In-Home Services Senior Employment"
What to buy: When Jill and I looked into the windows, we could see all kinds of local craft items made (we presume) by seniors in the community. We found that to be quite refreshing....a way for seniors to keep busy, feel important, and make some money. Also, a way for people in the community as well as visitors to support seniors and have, in return, a lovely hand-made item.
I wish that I could have found out more about it, but I came up "empty-handed"!
Directions: South East Corner of 4th and South D Streets
Theme: Local Craft
Archway Artisans Art Co-op Pamphlet
CLICK ON PHOTO TO READ
While in historic Centerville, we walked around checking out the architecture and the shops. We were interested in a shop where they were scraping paint and repainting the trim of the building called, Archway Artisans Art Co-op. It's a working co-op, and the finished products are sold here at reasonable prices.
The pottery is all hand-crafted by: Nate Wilson, June Kinsinger, David Nagy, Ashley Mikesell, and J. Harris.
Lorri Potter is the local Soap-Maker, and she was there that day working in the shop. All her soaps and lotions are made with goat's milk.
There's also colorful oil paintings, still life paintings, and abstracts. I especially liked the oil painted pet mats, place mats, wall and floor mats that are designed by Jill Kinsinger.
What to buy: I also liked the copper, bronze, and steel sculptures. Jill and I both admired the unique lamps, candle holders, and small tables made of driftwood and other odd-shaped woods.
Yes, there is also jewelry of natural stones, ceramic, wood, cinnabar, mother-pearl, and glass as well as hand-made papier-mache beads!
If you love Stained Glass, you would enjoy Cheryl Hornsby's work.
In addition, there are lovely photographs by Gary Ratliff and gorgeous quilts by Ollie Isaccs.
Open: Friday, Saturday, and Monday 10 am to 5 pm
Sunday from 12 noon to 5 pm.
What to pay: Jill and I agreed that the prices were quite reasonable
Address: 105 West Main Street, Centerville, IN 47330
More Reviews (22)
- See All Jill's "Homestead" Search
- For Road Trips, Luggage Can Vary
- See All "The Homemade meal without the fuss"
- See All Jazz Murals in Richmond, Indiana
deecat's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic "Gem" in East-Central Indiana"
- "Richmond, Indiana: Nice town, nice college"
- "sambarnett's new Richmond Page"
- "Richmond, Indiana..home residence"
- "Richmond Trip a Blowout"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- Shopping in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 24 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
Photos in RichmondSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos