Richmond Shopping Tips by deecat

Richmond Shopping: 3 reviews and 3 photos

Senior Opportunities Service Craft Shop - Richmond

Senior Opportunities Service Craft Shop

Cutter's Corner Craft Shop: Help Seniors By Purchasing From

While walking around in the Historic Districts, Jill and I saw a beautiful mural painted on the back of a building. We stopped to investigate and were delighted to see the mural of this building as a grocery store at "the turn of the century" when it was called "Cutter's Corner". From the little I could discover about it, I found that a man named Henry Cuter had a Grocery Store at the southeast corner of 4th and South D in 1909.

Today, it is still a story, not a grocery store. The sign out front (see photo) says: "Cutter's Corner Home of Senior Opportunities Services CRAFT SHOP In-Home Services Senior Employment"

What to buy: When Jill and I looked into the windows, we could see all kinds of local craft items made (we presume) by seniors in the community. We found that to be quite refreshing....a way for seniors to keep busy, feel important, and make some money. Also, a way for people in the community as well as visitors to support seniors and have, in return, a lovely hand-made item.

I wish that I could have found out more about it, but I came up "empty-handed"!

Directions: South East Corner of 4th and South D Streets

Theme: Local Craft

• Written May 20, 2006
Archway Artisans Art Co-op Pamphlet - Richmond

Archway Artisans Art Co-op Pamphlet

Archway Artisans Art Co-op: While in Centerville Visit

CLICK ON PHOTO TO READ

While in historic Centerville, we walked around checking out the architecture and the shops. We were interested in a shop where they were scraping paint and repainting the trim of the building called, Archway Artisans Art Co-op. It's a working co-op, and the finished products are sold here at reasonable prices.

The pottery is all hand-crafted by: Nate Wilson, June Kinsinger, David Nagy, Ashley Mikesell, and J. Harris.

Lorri Potter is the local Soap-Maker, and she was there that day working in the shop. All her soaps and lotions are made with goat's milk.

There's also colorful oil paintings, still life paintings, and abstracts. I especially liked the oil painted pet mats, place mats, wall and floor mats that are designed by Jill Kinsinger.

What to buy: I also liked the copper, bronze, and steel sculptures. Jill and I both admired the unique lamps, candle holders, and small tables made of driftwood and other odd-shaped woods.

Yes, there is also jewelry of natural stones, ceramic, wood, cinnabar, mother-pearl, and glass as well as hand-made papier-mache beads!

If you love Stained Glass, you would enjoy Cheryl Hornsby's work.

In addition, there are lovely photographs by Gary Ratliff and gorgeous quilts by Ollie Isaccs.
Open: Friday, Saturday, and Monday 10 am to 5 pm
Sunday from 12 noon to 5 pm.

What to pay: Jill and I agreed that the prices were quite reasonable

Address: 105 West Main Street, Centerville, IN 47330

Phone: 765-855-3673

Theme: Art

Website: http://www.archwayartisans.com

• Updated May 24, 2006

deecat

Badges & Stats in Richmond

Have you been to Richmond?

Latest Activity in Richmond