"INDIANAPOLIS: Artist, Athlete, Historian, Patiot" Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis by deecat
Indianapolis Travel Guide: 535 reviews and 898 photos
Indianapolis, Indiana, capital city of Indiana, is a surprisingly cultural city..it has some of the finest War Memorials, Historic Districts, Top-Notch Museums, and spectacular Sporting Venues.
I don't think that the locals realize what an exceptional city it has become in the last 20 years.
My parents lived here for many years (which was during a time of turmoil and decline for the inner city). So, I knew very little about the downtown area. I attribute sports as a major influence on the "turnaround" of this town.
I remember the Pan American Games being held (surprisingly) in Indianapolis, and the rest is history. Sports became a focus; sporting venues were built; the Convention Center was built; and the city came "alive" again.
During the time that my friend Jill & I were in INDY (April 1-7), the Final Four in Women's College Basketball Finals were held. At the same time, there were trials in swimming competition going on.
After the city began to reclaim its splendor, the arts also became a local point. The city's Children's Museum is one of the biggest & best in the nation, perhaps the world! The Indianapolis Museum of Art, a National Historic Landmark, is located at the Oldfields-Lily House & Gardens, a 26-acre estate & historic house museum which is highly admired & respected. The Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians & Western Art (alliance partner of the National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution!) is "eye candy" both inside & out.
There are more than 140 parks that range from thousands of acres of nature preserves to modern recreation complexes. They have a system of greenway trails, or linear parks, that is supposed to eventually link 175 miles of neighborhoods, parks, & recreational, historical, & natural areas.
What the city has right now is certainly impressive.
The architecture in Indianapolis is also impressive. There are several historic districts that have been lovingly preserved. The homes range from German immigrant cottages to Federal/Italianate, Queen Anne, Gothic Revival, & Late Federal styles.
If the only spectacular architecture were the Scottish Rite Cathedral with its Gothic tower that holds a 54-bell carillon, the city would be worth a visit. However, it's not the only fantastic building or memorial.
There's also the Anthenaeum, an imposing and massive German structure that now houses the city's oldest restaurant (Rathskeller) & a YMCA!
In addition, there's the remarkable Murat Centre, an Arabic-styled temple in the Massachusetts Avenue Arts District. Besides being one of the largest Shine Temples in North America, it is also a Theatre.
But, as far as I'm concerned, the "Crown Jewel" of Indianapolis is Veteran's Memorial Plaza at Meridian & North Streets. It encompasses five blocks in three separate areas that include University Park Fountain monuments; Obelisk Square; and American Legion Mall.
It's truly awe-inspiring!
- Pros:Managable by foot or car; lots of history; great architecture; and terrific parks
- Cons:Many "locals" are unaware of its beauty, its history, & its architecture
- In a nutshell:A friendly, forward-thinking yet historic city with natural beauty, man-made splendors, and lovely citizens
Because of a wrong turn, Jill and I had another adventure and discovery. Jill tells in her own words what... more travel advice
One of our side trips was to Spencer, Indiana, which proved to be a great adventure. Here, in Jill's words is what... more travel advice
- See All We Regret Not Seeing.....
- See All A Marvelous Place To Become A Part of...
- See All The Official Inn of Conner Prairie
deecat's Related Pages
Indianapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "INDIANAPOLIS: Artist, Athlete, Historian, Patiot"
- "The Circle City"
- "indianapolis, in"
- "Fast, yet Friendly City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Indianapolis
- Hotels in Indianapolis
- Transportation in Indianapolis
- Nightlife in Indianapolis
- Restaurants in Indianapolis
- Shopping in Indianapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Indianapolis
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Indianapolis
- 52 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Indianapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indianapolis
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of rmdw's Indianapolis travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Athenaeum"
- updated a Indianapolis Travelogue "Living History Museum 15 Miles Northeast of Indie"
- Wrote a Review By Serendipity, We Discovered... in Indianapolis Shopping
Photos in IndianapolisSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Indianapolis hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Select Indianapolis North (At The Pyramids)
- 342 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Indianapolis - Days Inn Downtown
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
- 372 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Conrad Indianapolis Hotel
- 515 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Residence Inn Indianapolis North
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2012
- Four Points by Sheraton Indianapolis Carmel
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Jameson Inn Indianapolis South
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Jameson Inn Indianapolis-Carmel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Omni Severin Hotel
- 557 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Sheraton Indianapolis Hotel and Suites
- 288 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Canterbury Hotel
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Yellow Rose Inn
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Sybaris Clubs International
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Dollar Inn - Indianapolis
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 12, 2013
- Country Inn & Suites Indianapolis NE at I-69
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2007