"Capital City of Illinois: Springfield" Top 5 Page for this destination Springfield by deecat
Springfield Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 442 photos
Springfield, Illinois, is the state capital; the hometown of Abraham Lincoln; it's where the largest Executive Mansion in the U.S. is located; it's a city that cherishes its past, (even old Route 66); it's where the Illinois State Fair is held each year; Springfield still has a Drive-in Theater [Route 66 Drive-in]; it's huge Lake Springfield offers a public beach, a Marina, and is partly surrounded by some great parks; Springfield is also a college & University town [Lincoln Land Community College, Robert Morris College, SIU School of Medicine, Springfield College in Illinois, and University of Illinois at Springfield], transportation in Springfield includes Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport, Amtrak Trains, and a Greyhound Bus Depot; and, most of all, Springfield is a city where you feel ,and actually are, surrounded by history!
For those of you who admire our 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, Springfield is most certainly the city to visit. Here in Springfield, Abe is a "revered icon". You can visit THE ABRAHAM LINCOLN PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY AND MUSEUM, a visit to the past via the 21st-century!
Visitors are able to tour Lincoln's home and neighborhood, his law offices, the Old State Capitol [ where he served as a state representative], The State Capitol [where he visited as President of the United States], the Lincoln family church pew, the Lincoln ledger, the Great Western Railroad Depot [where he gave his farewell speech], and, of course, Lincoln's Tomb, his final resting place.
When you think of Abraham Lincoln, think of Springfield, Illinois.
Historic Route 66, The Mother Road, still plays an important role in Springfield.
Chicago's Lake Shore Drive starts Route 66 where it winds through the Loop before heading south toward Bloomington, Illinois, and then continues to SPRINGFIELD, where you'll end up at Sixth Street. Be sure to visit all the Route 66-related places and events:
1. The one and only Cozy Dog Drive-In where the Waldmire family started serving their famous Cozy Dogs in 1946.
2. The original 66 Drive-In is still around. It used to be on South Sixth Street, and has come back to life in a new location as part of Knight's Action Park off old Route 4.
3. A block south of the fairgrounds on Peoria Road, WWII veteran, Bill Shea, has converted his Marathon Station into a museum of gasoline and oil memorabilia, Shea's Gas Station Museum. He's also moved another old tin station on the grounds for more display space. He has "tons" of Route 66 memorabilia. [We visited his museum and talked to him; it was one of the highlights of our trip.
4. Springfield and the surrounding area is home to quite a few 66-related events:
a. The Route 66 Association of Illinois' annual Motor Tour event in June.
b. The Third Annual Logan County Route 66 Garage Sales in June has 37 miles of Route 66 in Logan County where garage sales, flea markets, and food vendors will abound.
d. Springfield has its own International Route 66 festival in September with classic cars, an arts fair, and where live music will be played on the city's historic downtown streets.
e. Route 66 winds around the three sides of the State Fairgrounds in Springfield.
It's obvious that Springfield, Illinois is Route 66 Territory!
- Pros:Mid-sized city that is clean, has plenty of parking, quite historic with beautiful architecture
- Cons:Because of 2009 economy, some sites are closed
- In a nutshell:A friendly midwestern city that is rich in history.
One afternoon after a long day of siteseeing, Mickey and I decided to try The Globe Tavern located in the lobby of the... more travel advice
If it were not for mobs of school children on Spring trips, I would have enjoyed New Salem Village much more. In... more travel advice
Written May 24, 2009
Shea's Lifetime Collection
Written Apr 26, 2009
Favorite Photos Not Used In Tips
deecat's Related Pages
Springfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital City of Illinois: Springfield"
- "Springfield - the city Lincoln Loved"
- "Springfield, Illinois"
- "Where fine Illinois Politicians serve the Public"
- "Lived here for a time and left as fast as I could"
- "Springfield, IL"
- "Illinois State Capitol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Springfield
- Hotels in Springfield
- Transportation in Springfield
- Nightlife in Springfield
- Restaurants in Springfield
- Shopping in Springfield
- Warnings and Dangers in Springfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Springfield
- 27 Reviews
- 113 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Springfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Springfield
Photos in SpringfieldSee All Photos (113)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos