"Proud To Have Grown Up In Robinson, Illinois" Robinson by deecat

Robinson Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 176 photos

Small Town America

Robinson, Illinois, rose from the prairie land in about 1843. It was not until 1896 that a Gothic-style courthouse was built in the middle of the town square. The Big Four Railroad was completed in 1871. I really smiled when I read what Ethelbert Callahan wrote as his vision of Robinson's future:

"Twill be but a question of time until Robinson will spread over a vast area of our agricultural land...from chaos to a land of paradise--when we get gas."

Well, gas did come to Robinson, and his prediction did not really come true; however, for many citizens, Robinson is a little paradise in this hectic, chaotic world.

I feel that Robinson citizens should feel joyful that there are people living in the community who value the past and work toward a better future. Such examples of pride should include:

Using the old Schmidt Clinic as the Crawford County Historical Society; the work of the Crawford County Heritage Foundation who is responsible for renovations around the town square such as the new Heath Museum; The Veterans of Foreign Wars using the Big Four Railroad Station as a Veterans Military Museum and Memorial; the new signs honoring Literary son, James Jones; The Crawford County Historical Society's cleaning and repairing tombstones at the Old Robinson Cemetery; and, for all those individuals who renovate old homes and keep their properties looking wonderful.

As a teenager in the 1950s, I don't think that I valued this small town the way I do now. Of course, we had the Sugar Bowl and the Cream Pitcher which today's kids know nothing about. We also had The Vogue Woman's Clothing Store as well as the Newline Woman's Store, the Index with its wooden floors, the Woolworth Five and Dime Store, The Gorden Drive-In Theater, the Lincoln Theater, and that great teen-age "hangout" called The Deck.

We'll never be able to revive those wonderful places and the wonderful memories associated with them, but today Robinson citizens can boast about Washington Park, three golf courses, the new Heath museum, the new Robinson High School and Gym, the new Eagle Theater, Lincoln Trail Junior College; a multitude of beautiful and historic churches, Pride Corner, the New Veterans Military Museum, and many adults who work hard to keep Robinson the beautiful and safe community in which to live.

My Growing Up Years Spent Here

My family moved from Salem, Illinois to Robinson, Illinois when I was eight years old. My very first teacher was Emily Gould, and to this day, she has remained my favorite teacher of all times. [See Photo 1] I was also fortunate enough to have been in the class that went to "Little Brick School" out on Route 33.

Cheerleading played a big part in my growing up years, and one of my fondest memories was when our Eighth Team went to state and brought back the 2nd place trophy. My cheerleading years at Robinson High School prepared me for being a cheerleader at Southern Illinois University. My education also prepared me and inspired me to become a teacher myself.

We lived in 5 different locations in Robinson, and my favorites were on the corner of Howard and Condit Streets and living on Main Street, near the Big Four.

Robinson, Illinois, was an excellent place to grow up, to learn values, and to make lovely memories.

• Pros:Small, Less Expensive, Patriotic, Compact, Friendly
  • Cons:Not Enough Fine Eating Restaurants
  • In a nutshell:A friently small town with kind, caring citizens
  • Last visit to Robinson: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 22, 2008

• Aug 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I am proud to have grown up in Robinson! What memories you have shared on this site!

• Jun 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM

So this is where you grew up, huh? This is extremely well done. You are able to find so much when you travel. Lots to discover in this out-of-the-way place. You have an inquisitive mind, and keen "eye" for beauty.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Excellent Robinson travel page! Wonderful place where you spent your childhood years. Lots of interesting museums especially Heath and Historical museums. Thanks for your virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Dee, we are kindred spirits for sure. I absolutely love places like this. So much history and so much charm. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful place.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2010 at 3:37 PM

really interesting stuff - thanks.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM

fascinating stuff (pecan pancakes, yum!)

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2010 at 6:48 AM

♫•:*¨`*:•Happy birthday to you♫♫Happy b-day to you♫HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ღDEEEEღ ♫♫Happy b-day to yoou•:*¨`*:•♫I wish you not only a happy year, but also happier many returns♣Proud of you too(~_~)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2010 at 4:58 AM

Really enjoyed my virtual tour of your home town Dee. Lots of great memories for you here, esp. your old high school. Nice to show before and after pics. Have a great week Dee.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2010 at 7:10 PM

very nice page. nice to know that you worked as a DJ :-). i liked family pictures and was able to relate to your kid brother, because i was a kid sibling too LOL. without pictures, this page wdn't be complete.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Dee, I was down in Peoria this past weekend and saw Robinson High School win the 2A State Basketball Championship.

deecat Used To Live Here!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Robinson

Have you been to Robinson?

Latest Activity in Robinson