"Proud To Have Grown Up In Robinson, Illinois" Robinson by deecat
Robinson Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 176 photos
Robinson, Illinois, rose from the prairie land in about 1843. It was not until 1896 that a Gothic-style courthouse was built in the middle of the town square. The Big Four Railroad was completed in 1871. I really smiled when I read what Ethelbert Callahan wrote as his vision of Robinson's future:
"Twill be but a question of time until Robinson will spread over a vast area of our agricultural land...from chaos to a land of paradise--when we get gas."
Well, gas did come to Robinson, and his prediction did not really come true; however, for many citizens, Robinson is a little paradise in this hectic, chaotic world.
I feel that Robinson citizens should feel joyful that there are people living in the community who value the past and work toward a better future. Such examples of pride should include:
Using the old Schmidt Clinic as the Crawford County Historical Society; the work of the Crawford County Heritage Foundation who is responsible for renovations around the town square such as the new Heath Museum; The Veterans of Foreign Wars using the Big Four Railroad Station as a Veterans Military Museum and Memorial; the new signs honoring Literary son, James Jones; The Crawford County Historical Society's cleaning and repairing tombstones at the Old Robinson Cemetery; and, for all those individuals who renovate old homes and keep their properties looking wonderful.
As a teenager in the 1950s, I don't think that I valued this small town the way I do now. Of course, we had the Sugar Bowl and the Cream Pitcher which today's kids know nothing about. We also had The Vogue Woman's Clothing Store as well as the Newline Woman's Store, the Index with its wooden floors, the Woolworth Five and Dime Store, The Gorden Drive-In Theater, the Lincoln Theater, and that great teen-age "hangout" called The Deck.
We'll never be able to revive those wonderful places and the wonderful memories associated with them, but today Robinson citizens can boast about Washington Park, three golf courses, the new Heath museum, the new Robinson High School and Gym, the new Eagle Theater, Lincoln Trail Junior College; a multitude of beautiful and historic churches, Pride Corner, the New Veterans Military Museum, and many adults who work hard to keep Robinson the beautiful and safe community in which to live.
My family moved from Salem, Illinois to Robinson, Illinois when I was eight years old. My very first teacher was Emily Gould, and to this day, she has remained my favorite teacher of all times. [See Photo 1] I was also fortunate enough to have been in the class that went to "Little Brick School" out on Route 33.
Cheerleading played a big part in my growing up years, and one of my fondest memories was when our Eighth Team went to state and brought back the 2nd place trophy. My cheerleading years at Robinson High School prepared me for being a cheerleader at Southern Illinois University. My education also prepared me and inspired me to become a teacher myself.
We lived in 5 different locations in Robinson, and my favorites were on the corner of Howard and Condit Streets and living on Main Street, near the Big Four.
Robinson, Illinois, was an excellent place to grow up, to learn values, and to make lovely memories.
- Pros:Small, Less Expensive, Patriotic, Compact, Friendly
- Cons:Not Enough Fine Eating Restaurants
- In a nutshell:A friently small town with kind, caring citizens
Photographs: Photo #1: My brother-in-law, Larry Gullet, is pictured on the RIGHT leaning against the Robinson Daily... more travel advice
On a beautiful Sunday afternoon in May, 2008, my sister, brother-in-law, and I visited the Robinson Old Cemetery at the... more travel advice
- See All Heath Museum & Confectionery
- Tearing Down Wonderful Buildings
- See All Rest Stops Along Route 57 in Illinois
- Go to the Movies
deecat's Related Pages
Robinson Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Robinson
- Hotels in Robinson
- Transportation in Robinson
- Nightlife in Robinson
- Restaurants in Robinson
- Shopping in Robinson
- Warnings and Dangers in Robinson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Robinson
- 42 Reviews
- 175 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Robinson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Robinson
Photos in RobinsonSee All Photos (175)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos