"Three-Time All American City: Peoria" Top 5 Page for this destination Peoria by deecat
Peoria Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 192 photos
The minute you enter Peoria, you know that it is a very old city; it's the oldest settlement in the state. Louis Jolliet & Pere Marquette, along with a French party, discovered it in 1673. La Salle established Fort Creve Coeur on the eastern shore of Peoria Lake (really the Illinois River) in 1680. The British flag flew over Peoria for about 15 years, & the Spanish flag flew here for less than a year. The name "Peoria" comes from the Native Americans who occupied the area when the French first arrived.
This East-Central Illinois city is a real industrial city that grew where the Illinois River widens to form two large lakes. Peoria is the international headquarters of Caterpillar, Inc., makers of earthmoving equipment that is used worldwide. Steel is another product that the city is known for as well as agricultural-based companies, information/high-tech firms, & a commodity market.
This mid-sized city is home to Bradley University (1897) & the University of Illinois-Peoria College of Medicine.
But, what I enjoyed most about this lovely place was its diverse architecture.
I was able to see beautiful Italianate/Second Empire mansions, American Federalist style homes, as well as a Frank Lloyd Wright home. This city of about 113,000 people has numerous charming churches, historic theaters, & several new, architectually- interesting buildings. Peoria is an easy city to navigate by foot & by car. Its setting on the Illinois River is a real plus. The somewhat new Riverfront Area with its promenade, Visitors' Center, restaurants, shops, & Riverboat Cruises is especially wonderful during the spring, summer, & fall.
If you visit, also take advantage of the unique, diverse shopping; tee up on one of the 18-hole golf courses; walk the nature trails; and enjoy some of the best entertainment at the Civic Center. Remember, "If it plays in Peoria...", it'll be a success elsewhere!
- Pros:Historic, Scenic, Diverse, Friendly
- In a nutshell:Historic Riverfront Town With Many Architectual Gems
Murray Baker Bridge is scheduled to be closed from April 2,2005 until October 1, 2005! Murray Morrison Baker, a... more travel advice
I was really impressed when I went to a Josh Groban Concert in Civic Center Arena in early March, 2005. Built in 1982,... more travel advice
- See All Stunning Architecture: Peoria Insurance...
- Caterpillar and Peoria are Synonymous
- Nightlife Flourishes in Peoria
deecat's Related Pages
Peoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Three-Time All American City: Peoria"
- "Peoria - A Town of Firsts for me"
- "Home of the Prairie Airshow"
- ""If it'll play in Peoria...""
- "Peoria has plenty of culture!"
- "P-town is Paradise!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peoria
- Hotels in Peoria
- Transportation in Peoria
- Nightlife in Peoria
- Restaurants in Peoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Peoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peoria
- 23 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Peoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peoria
- updated a Peoria Travel Page "Three-Time All American City: Peoria"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of Dester's Peoria travel pages
- Wrote a Review Route I74 Murray Baker Bridge to Peoria in Peoria Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Route I74 Murray Baker Bridge to Peoria"
Photos in PeoriaSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos