"Oldest Town in the State of Illinois" Palestine by deecat
Palestine Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 35 photos
Palestine certainly has a rich, historic background, which I was totally unaware of when I grew up in Robinson, Illinois, just seven miles away!
Thought to be the oldest white settlement in Illinois, it was the location of the first county seat in Crawford County [before it was permanently moved to Robinson, Illinois].
It was named Palestine by John LaMotte because it reminded him of the biblical land of "milk and honey".
You can still see burial mounds left by the early Native Americans.
There were two forts built in Palestine during the War of 1812, Fort LaMotte, and later Fort Foot. They were needed to protect the settlers from the hostile, renegade Indian bands.
Historic information indicates that Abraham Lincoln spent several days in Palestine on his way to the Springfield area. They also say that Lincoln made some of his earliest political connections in Palestine.
Most shocking is the fact that Robert Kinzie purchased 102.29 acres of land for $127.68 through the Palestine land office to acquire the acreage that is now the Chicago Loop!
The infamous Elizabeth Reed was the 1st woman in Illinois to be executed and the only woman to be hung. She was accused of poisoning her husband , and she also was accused of burning down the Palestine jail!
While visiting Palestine, Illinois, today, you can see for yourself why it's such a small village that is steeped in history.
Palestine is located along the west bank of the Wabash River on Illinois Route #33 [part of the Lincoln Heritage Trail].
From Indiana, in order to cross the Wabash, you either have to go to Hutsonville, IL. or to Vincennes, IN..
Because I always visit Palestine when I'm visiting Robinson, Illinois, I take Route 33 going East for about 7 miles.
Palestine is about 30 miles south of Interstate 70.
- Pros:Very Concerned About Preserving the Past
- Cons:Very Off The Beaten Path
- In a nutshell:A Lovely Small Town That Still Has a Pioneer Spirit!
Warning: This is really WEIRD! If you know that Betsey Reed was the only woman in Crawford County executed, then you... more travel advice
Palestine is an active community who loves to celebrate. Here are some of the celebrations and festivals that I... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Palestine Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Palestine
- Transportation in Palestine
- Restaurants in Palestine
- Shopping in Palestine
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Palestine
- 16 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Palestine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palestine
Photos in PalestineSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos