"A Cultural and Educational Trip to Oak Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Oak Park by deecat
Oak Park Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 148 photos
"Make the wall of brick that the fire touched to tawny gold or ruddy tan, the choicest of all earth's hues. They willl...recognize the surface of the ground on which they stand, gently spreading there to a substantial base that makes the building seem to stand more firmly in its socket in the earth and carry with a profile of grace the protection of its sheltering eaves." Frank Lloyd Wright, 1902
Oak Park, Illinois is located about eight or nine miles west of the Loop in Chicago. A man named Joseph Kettlestrings purchased 173 acres of timber/prairie just east of the Des Plaines River in 1835. He was the first white settler in Oak Park. This area slowly grew into the village of Oak Ridge [now Oak Park, the northwestern portion since 1872].
After the Chicago fire in 1871, many people moved to the village because they could still build frame houses here [which was forbidden in the city of Chicago].
At the turn of the century, the famous Lake Street "L" was extended to Harlem Avenue which then linked Oak Park to Chicago because it was a much faster way to reach the city.
The two most famous people who were born in Oak Park were Ernest Hemingway and Frank Lloyd Wright.
Today, Oak Park attracts people from all over the world who come to see both of these men's homes/studio and Museum. We were just two of those many people who came to be better educated and to absorb the culture of this diverse and lovely village.
I just happed to see this Sewer Cover and my travel buddy, Mickey, and I were walking down the street in Oak Park, Illinois. Since my name is DEE, I smiled widely when I saw that DEE was permanently embedded on this ordinary Sewer Cover. Awe, yes, deecat is represented in the lovely village of Oak Park. [grin]
Mickey and I were impressed with the architecture, the restaurants, the shopping, the parks, the memorials, and the sites we discovered in the village of Oak Park, Illinois. However, it was the small details that stand out. For instance, the beautiful lights throughout the streets [the ones in the photograph are just one example]. Another item that impressed us were all the beautiful, huge trees throughout the village. Probably most import to our delightful stay in Oak Park were the friendly and helpful locals.
- Pros:Culture, Architecture, Restaurants, Trees, History
- Cons:Parking and Pedestrian Street Crossing
- In a nutshell:Oak Park is very close to Chicago and provides great historic architecture, outstanding restaurants, beautiful neighborhoods, and friendly people
I researched this fountain because I like it so much. The information came from Frank Lloyd Wright's Chicago by Thomas... more travel advice
We purchased our tickets and reserved a time for our independent walking tour with audio at the Ginkgo Tree Book... more travel advice
- Parking is at a Premium in Oak Park
- Free Oak Park Shuttle Service
- See All Unique "Avenue" Shop in Oak Park
deecat's Related Pages
Oak Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Cultural and Educational Trip to Oak Park"
- "The town that Frank Lloyd Wright built"
- "Beautiful Historic Suburb of Chicago"
- "It's all about Frank ..."
- "Me and Ernest Hemingway"
- "Frank Lloyd Wright's House & Studio"
- "Oak Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oak Park
- Hotels in Oak Park
- Transportation in Oak Park
- Restaurants in Oak Park
- Shopping in Oak Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Oak Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oak Park
- 21 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Oak Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oak Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Outstanding Gift Shop"
- updated a Oak Park Travel Page "A Cultural and Educational Trip to Oak Park"
- Wrote a Review The Scoville Park Fountain 1909/1969 in Oak Park Favorites
- Commented on one of Dabs's Oak Park travel pages
Photos in Oak ParkSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos