"Home Sweet Home, Libertyville" Libertyville by deecat

Libertyville Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 152 photos

A great place to live

My husband Allan and I live in Libertyville, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, Illinois.Please check out my travelogues to know more about my personal home.

Be sure to check out the newest travelogue

We live in unincorporated Libertyville, really closer to Gurnee, Illinois. Libertyville has a beautiful downtown area that is still vibrant (which is rare because all the malls have depleted so many small towns).

It has a movie theatre, many antique stores, gift shops, Pubs, restaurants, furniture stores,coffee houses, a dance studio, candy shops, and a camera store.

Right in the middle of town is a Rose Garden with pathways to walk. It is quite beautiful and a very popular place.
It has a very excellent school system, which is one of the reasons so many people live here.

There is a nice train station for commuting to the city (Chicago).
There are many large, older homes immediately surrounding the town. Most have been renovated, keeping them true to their era.

Very nearby is a lovely Shopping Mall called "Hawthorne Center" with quality shops and restaurants.

Libertyville is a town and a community to be proud of.

A Town That Values Its Past

One reason I love Libertyville Downtown so much is because it truly values its past.

As I was photographing interesting places in downtown Libertyville, I noticed plaques like the one in the photograph which signifies that the property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.

Instead of tearing down buildings, Libertyville refurbishes the inside and maintains the "character" of the outside architecture.

Small Touches Create Large, Positive Images

The photograph shows just one of many small "touches" that add to the lovely ambience of downtown Libertyville.

Instead of ugly, dingy alleyways, the town has created airy, flower enhanced passageways for people to use and to enjoy.

• Pros:Beautiful, vibrant downtown
  • Cons:traffic in Lake County
  • In a nutshell:It will be the last home of 14 we've lived in!
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2008

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Always good to see where someone lives. What a darling place, and what remarkable restaurants. Loved all the personal insights.

• Dec 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM

What a charming little town with great places to eat and shop. The outdoor areas and the mansion look marvelous, too.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2009 at 9:40 AM

~ Hello, Dee! Great page, as all others you have created! I would enjoy my stay there I feel!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Dee, gorgeous page with great photos. It looks like there are more places to eat and shop than things to do. The Independence Grove looks like my kind of place.

• Oct 6, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Hello, I would like to know more about upcoming cooking classes! My husband and I are looking for something new to try for our 22nd Anniversary! Thanks!

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Well you certainly do have charming shopping options however if you lose me you can find me in the choccie factory!!!You are spoilt for choice in the dining out area. The picnic Basket sounds novel.

• Jul 8, 2008 at 5:32 AM

Great information and a lot of pictures!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Great insider tips on this lovely town. Lambs Farm sounds like a great idea. Your restaurant tips have made my mouth water and the shops look so interesting! Never thought retirement could be a reason for celebration, not in Poland anyway.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Back again to read about the 545... and wish for an evening at Gilardi's. Good choice! You make it all sound scrumptious.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 1:29 PM

Nice to find some really interesting shopping with delightful names = I see you got some unusual stuff and bargains to boot!!

deecat Used To Live Here!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Libertyville

Have you been to Libertyville?