"Impressive and Exclusive North Shore Community" Lake Forest by deecat
Lake Forest Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 38 photos
When Allan and I lived in Lake Bluff, we spent a great deal of time and money in the neighboring town of Lake Forest. The two towns almost run together, and the students at Lake Bluff end up going to the Lake Forest High School.
Lake Forest is 31 miles north of Chicago and is located on the west shore of LAKE MICHIGAN. This remarkable town is noted for natural beauty, preservation of historic structures, beautiful mansions, and a vibrant business district.
It is a wealthy community and one only need to note that in "1999, the average sale price of a single-family home was $821,316.00"!
Historically, the town was founded in 1852, and The Lake Forest Plan used a general concept of the "city in a park, with its streets laid out in an organic manner that takes into account....the ravines, lake bluffs, etc. instead of forcing the street plan into a formal gridiron plan".
When it was first developed, the original planners made roads that provided limited access to the city to keep it tranquil and isolated. The area called East Lake Forest near Lake Michigan remains rather secluded still today. This is the area that includes many of the distinguished mansions and estates.
In this affluent enclave, education is of utmost importance.
Some say that the town of Lake Forest was built around Lake Forest College which is a beautiful Private four-year college that exemplifies the understated wealth of this historic city.
In addition, Lake Forest is also noted for Lake Forest Academy which is a private Prep School within the city limits.
Also, Lake Forest Country Day School [1-12]is a private school where many local students attend and go on to prestigious eastern prep schools. I can attest to Lake Forest Country Day School because my daughter Jill attended this school for two years.
And, finally, Lake Forest Public Schools are noted for their fine educational opportunities. In all these educational institutions, it is obvious from the buildings alone [wonderful architecture] that the people of Lake Forest value and place a high priority on their children's education.
Lake Forest was once the farthest-west establishment of Polo in the nation. Today, Lake Forest continues its love of Polo, which is played yearly throughout August.
I remember when I read F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby, that Lake Forest was where the lead character, Tom Buchanan's polo ponies were bred. Some people go as far as to say that The Great Gatsby was a mirror of Lake Forest at that time.
- Pros:Picturesque, scenic, architectually historic
- Cons:Somewhat Exclusive
- In a nutshell:A naturally beautiful and architectually historic Town
On the western side of Lake Forest, you will find an outstanding restaurant called Lovells of Lake Forest. The... more travel advice
Photographs: 1. 1899 Frost and Granger Railroad Station in downtown Lake Forest. 2. Railroad baggage cart. 3. Sign... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Lake Forest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Impressive and Exclusive North Shore Community"
- Create a Lake Forest Travel Page
- Hotels in Lake Forest
- Transportation in Lake Forest
- Restaurants in Lake Forest
- Shopping in Lake Forest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Forest
- 17 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Lake Forest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Forest
Photos in Lake ForestSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos