"Lovely Place to Visit; Lovely Place to Live" Lake Bluff by deecat
Lake Bluff Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 56 photos
Allan and I learned about Lake Bluff, Illinois when he interviewed for a job in 1963. He got the job as an eighth grade math teacher at Lake Bluff Junior High School, and he taught there for two years before we went back to earn our Master's Degrees.
Then, in 1973, after 8 years in the western suburbs of Chicago, we moved to Lake Bluff because Allan had the opportunity to teach at the Junior High School once again.
We remained in Lake Bluff for about seven or eight years before building a house on the golf course in Antioch. Allan continued to teach at Lake Bluff Junior High School until 1993 when he retired from teaching.
During that time, we lived in four different homes.
All you have to do is drive into Lake Bluff, and you immediately realize that this is a different kind of community, a community with "character".
Lake Bluff is located about 35 miles north of Chicago and is bordered by Lake Forest to the south, Green Oaks to the West, Lake Michigan to the east, and Great Lakes Naval Training Center to the north.
It's a small community with a population of just over 6,000 residents. Lake Bluff has the historic east side and the newer west side. It has a public Golf Course, a Public Library and Museum, a public Swimming Pool, and a rather new walking/biking path. However, it's greatest natural asset is the bluff, the ravines, and the proximity to Lake Michigan.
But what I remember most about Lake Bluff is the large trees, the beautiful and varied architecturally vibrant homes, and the quaint downtown area.
- Pros:Small town with "hometown values" located on a bluff over Lake Michigan
- In a nutshell:A small town with beautiful architecture and a lovely natural environment
Lake Bluff is not just a sleepy little "hamlet". It has an interesting history and unique qualities. I learned in the... more travel advice
Finally, Lake Bluff has a full-service restaurant right in the middle of history downtown! When we lived in Lake Bluff,... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Lake Bluff Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Lake Bluff
- Transportation in Lake Bluff
- Restaurants in Lake Bluff
- Shopping in Lake Bluff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Bluff
- 16 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Lake Bluff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Bluff
Photos in Lake BluffSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos