"Grayslake: My First Home: 1963" Grayslake by deecat
Grayslake Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 110 photos
Today, August 23, 2006, I decided to peruse Grayslake, my first home after being married in 1963! Allan and I lived in Grayslake from 1963 until 1965 when we decided to return to school for our Master Degrees.
Both of us are teachers; I taught at Grayslake and walked the 3 or 4 blocks to the high school. Allan taught in Lake Bluff and drove the 10 miles to his school.
At the time we lived in Grayslake, it was a very small community, and the high school was also quite small. Since that time, Grayslake has experienced a "population explosion", and there are two huge high schools!!
In 2003, the census indicated that there were over 20,300 residents.
My favorite part of Grayslake is The Village Center which is located in the heart of the town. This area includes historic downtown, The Esper A. Petersen Foundation Family Aquatic Center, Grayslake Public Library, Grayslake Senior Center, Central Park (40 acres), Daniel Barry Memorial Skate Park, Grayslake Middle School as well as Grayslake Central High School.
I love American towns that have kept the "downtown" alive and vibrant....Grayslake is a good example of such a town.
However, Grayslake is quite spread out (12 square miles) and includes a second high school, many strip malls, abundant residential communities, several industrial parks, a new Lake Forest Hospital's "hospital campus, Grayslake". (By the way, that is where I go to see my doctor).
I had such a wonderful time today rediscovering the town where I lived so many years ago. Of course, it's changed in looks; however, it still has that small town feel; it still has the friendly citizens who smile, say "hello", and are eager to help.
It was very strange to stand across the street to take a photograph of that first "home" that Allan and I shared as man and wife. There's new siding on the house; a newer garage is there now; the bushes hide the outside steps to the upstairs apartment where we lived; and the two grocery stores across the street and around the corner, are no longer there. Yet, it just seems like "yesterday" that we furnished the one bedroom, one bath, a kitchen, and a living room apartment with cheap furniture. Ironically, we ended up with more money each month back then than we ever have since that time!
Toward the end of the afternoon, I journeyed toward the location of the High School, the first teaching job I ever had. I certainly did not recognize this huge building. It actually takes up more than one block! It's the beginning of school right now, and I saw several athletes (both male and female). It was late afternoon, and the parking lot was quite full. I walked all around in utter astonishment....that once small high school has become a very large high school. More than that, another huge high school has been built for Grayslake; it is located out of the town proper.
- Pros:Small Town Atmosphere with Suburban Flair
- Cons:Lots of Traffic
- In a nutshell:Small town with a friendly attitude
Washington Square is relatively new; it is located on Washington Street across from the College of Lake County. For a... more travel advice
One of the nicest things happened to me today (August 30, 2006) as I revisited Grayslake again on Market Day. As I was... more travel advice
- Three Golf Courses in Grayslake
- See All Prairie Crossing, a Unique Community
- See All For Quality Fabrics for Quilts
deecat's Related Pages
Grayslake Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Grayslake
- Transportation in Grayslake
- Nightlife in Grayslake
- Restaurants in Grayslake
- Shopping in Grayslake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grayslake
- 28 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Grayslake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grayslake
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Wrote a Review Three Golf Courses in Grayslake in Grayslake Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Grayslake's Newest High School"
- updated a Grayslake Travel Page "Grayslake: My First Home: 1963"
- Commented on one of Dabs's Grayslake travel pages
Photos in GrayslakeSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos