Galena Off The Beaten Path Tips by deecat Top 5 Page for this destination
Galena Off The Beaten Path: 9 reviews and 16 photos
Old High School Taken From Grant Park
1. Old High School from a Distance [taken from Grant Park.
2. Close up of the Old High School.
3. Photo of steps that lead up to the Old High School
One of the most impressive sights is to see the Old High School atop the hillside looking down on the beautiful small town of Galena.
On our Trolley Tour, we learned some interesting facts about this beautiful building.
It was built in 1905 after the previous school burned down. They stopped using this school in 1980.
They sold the school, and it was converted into condominiums called Galena Green Condominiums.
They are so named because they are located on Green and Commerce Streets.
What spectacular views they have of the town!
Another bit of information that the tour guide told us was the steep steps called "the high school steps" that the students had to climb to and from school each day. I'll bet there were not too many "chubby" students during that time period!
Humorous Sign for The Old Stockade
One of the most baffling sites in Galena would be the Old Stockage on the Cobblestone Street.
It's a log-built structure that was used as a refuge for the women and children of Galena during the Blackhawk War . Inside are historical displays of Galena's history from 1820's. The original building was constructed in French style using upright timbers and with a stone cellar.
It was purchased in 1998 and restored by using and 1890 photo. Federal and state preservation incentives helped with the total restoration. Today there is an apartment upstairs and tours by appointment are done downstairs.
It's open every Sunday from 1pm to 4pm
1. A very humorous sign at the bottom of the Cobblestone Street announcing the Old Stockage on the Cobblestone Street
2. The Cobblestone Street itself.
I walked up and down this street [no easy feat because of the age and condition of the cobblestones] and never figured out where the structure actually is. appearance.
Other Contact: 208 Perry Street, Galena, IL 610
Route 20 South East of Galena Observation Tower
A disappointment for us on this trip is not being able to climb the Observation Tower off Highway 20 near our Time Share. We had read that the most spectacular views of the landscape and countryside was from atop this tower.
So, on a bright Thursday morning, we drove the three miles down Highway 20 from our Time Share, and eagerly awaited the climb. I took photos from every angle of the outside of the structure. When we arrived up close, there was a sign indicating that it was closed to the public because of repairs. Also, it was blockaded so that it was virtually impossible to climb.
1. The Observation Tower taken from the top up.
2. The countryside scene from nearby taken from ground level.
3. The unfortunate CLOSED sign.
4. The Great River Road Map.
More Reviews (36)
- See All Excellent Gift and Gourmet Coffee Shop
- See All Overview of a Wonderful Weekend in...
- Ladies Getaway in Galena
- See All Wine Tasting in Galena
- See All Ladies Weekend at the Desoto Hotel
deecat's Related Pages
Galena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second Most Visited City in the State of Illinois"
- "Valentines Day in Galena"
- "Jenilady's new Galena Page"
- "Annual Easter Weekend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galena
- Hotels in Galena
- Transportation in Galena
- Nightlife in Galena
- Restaurants in Galena
- Shopping in Galena
- Warnings and Dangers in Galena
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ueda Hotels
- Cuyamaca State Park Hotels
- Ratnapura Hotels
- Wadsworth Hotels
- nature & wildlife
- Exotic animals
- Malaysia Off The Beaten Path
- Markets and Street Scenes
- Maratea Off The Beaten Path
- Athlone Off The Beaten Path
- Budva Off The Beaten Path
- Yoho National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Brunei Off The Beaten Path
- Dorset Off The Beaten Path
- Sonneveld house
- Vanuatu Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Galena
- 39 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Galena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galena
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Wrote a Review Excellent Gift and Gourmet Coffee Shop in Galena Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Overview of a Wonderful Weekend in Galena"
- updated a Galena Travel Page "Second Most Visited City in the State of Illinois"
- Commented on one of dlandt's Galena travel pages
Photos in GalenaSee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Galena hotel reviews
- Chestnut Mountain Resort
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Longhollow Point Condominiums
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 27, 2013
- Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa
- 306 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Worldmark Galena
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- The Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel
- 362 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Tierra Linda Bed and Breakfast
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Galena
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- DeSoto House Hotel
- 239 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Farmers' Guest House
- 666 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast
- 435 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013