Galena Favorite Tips by deecat Top 5 Page for this destination
Galena Favorites: 9 reviews and 18 photos
Church Steeple in Galena
Favorite thing: Photographs:
1. Beautiful Church Steeple in Galena.
2. Delicious Food in Galena [this was breakfast at the Courtyard Restaurant at the DeSoto House Hotel.
3. Belvedere Mansion in Galena.
4. Four Friends during Ladies Getaway Weekend: Dee, Mickey, Marcia, & Jill.
5. Statue of General Grant in the Grant Park in Galena.
My three friends, Mickey, Marcia, and Jill, are all English teachers. Marcia is the only one who is not retired. We decided that we needed a Ladies Getaway Weekend. We used Jill's Ford, and Mickey and I did all the driving.
We arrived in Galena about 8:00 p.m. on Friday, September 7, 2007. [It's a 3 1/2 hour drive from our homes]. We had beautiful rooms in the DeSoto House Hotel. That night we ate pizza, talked, and went to bed about midnight.
Saturday we had breakfast in the hotel , shopped, had a wine tasting/buying, took a walk to the park, ate lunch and dinner. After dinner, we had ice cream at our favorite ice cream parlor. Early Sunday morning, Mickey and I took a nice walk around town and to the park. We ate Sunday Brunch at the hotel.
After we check out of our hotel, we then drove to Dubuque, Iowa and shopped at what I call the "Bluff Shops".
Fondest memory: We then drove back over the Mississippi River and took a guided tour of the elegant Belvedere Mansion. Once the tour was over, it was time to say goodbye to lovely Galena.
We really hated to leave because we had so much fun, because we all love
to shop in the great shops, because we all love architecture and history, because we love good food and ice cream, and because we cherish our long-time friendship.
Jill eating her delicious Ice Cream
Favorite thing: For the second time, I visited the "coolest" ice cream shop in Galena. I took my three friends this time to prove to them how good the ice cream really is.
The American Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor is located in a beautiful building that was built in 1846! In addition has the original cabinetry, which is a delight to view. There is also a 1927 old fashioned fountain. What I really like about it is the fact that it is not "cluttered" as some other ice cream shops in town seem to be.
Both times I have visited, it has been about nine o'clock at night, and the same elderly woman is working alone with efficiency and speed. She always has a smile and kind comment regardless of how busy it is.
Fondest memory: It has a black and white awning, which is how I am able to identify it because the signage is not obvious. It is located at: 102 North Main Street, and the telephone number is (815) 777-3121.
They have Flavored popcorn, a Coffee Bar with hot chocolate, cappuccino, flavored coffee, cookies, and Biscotti.
In addition, they offer 40 flavors of ice cream, sodas, floats, sundaes, banana splits, malts, and shakes, as well as 40 wonderful flavors of Ice Cream.
My favorite flavor is ice cream is Black Walnut, and I have never tasted any better than here at the The American Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor.
The photograph shows my friend, Jill Martin.
While in Galena, don't miss visiting this delightful place.
Galena Historical Museum
Favorite thing: Extra photographs are a MUST SEE if you want to smile
Jill and I had a "blast" at the Galena History Museum. It's also called Galena/Jo Daviess County History Museum.
It is located in an 1858 Italian-style mansion that, in itself, is a treat to see. It was formerly home to a local retailer.The museum has special exhibits that feature Grant and the Civil War, steam boating, clothing, geology, toys, dolls, mining, and agriculture.
Since we love anything about the Civil War, we loved the rare photographs & personal items of U.S. Grant and the famouse Painting called "Peace in Union" of Lee's surrender to Grant.
Perhaps the most remarkable offering in this local museum is an abandoned mineshaft. It's an original 1830's mine shaft which you can see for yourself. It's a specially constructed viewing platform that allows you to look 30 feet down into an original shaft. You can see for yourself
Fondest memory: You can also see a video on Galena's history on the hour.
If you wish, you may want to visit the book, gift, and antique shop.
211 South Bench Street, Galena, IL 61036
Daily from 9 am until 4:30 pm
Child [under 10] Free
Favorite thing: There are two possibilities if you wish to take a Ghost Tour while in Galena:
Annie Wiggins Ghost Tour
1004 Park Avenue
Galena, Illinois 61036
ON this tour, a "costumed guide" leads you on a ghost tour of cemeteries and Galena's sites. She tells you about Galena's most famous ghost tales.
Reservations are needed for this seasonal tour.
It is only available on:
Fridays and Saturdays in May through October
All About A Ghost Tour
227 South Dodge Street
Galena, Illinois 61036
This walking tour gives you an oversight of Galena's past and present ghostly adventures. The tour guide says that ALL of the stories are "AUTHENTIC AND HAVE BEEN RESEARCHED". Thus, it is a mixture of history and mystery.
This, too, is a seasonal tour.
Friday-Saturday at 8 p.m. April-October
[Memorial Day Weekend is Friday, Saturday, & SUNDAY night at 8:00 pm]
November and December tours are conducted inside.
Fondest memory: Regardless of which ghost tour you decide to take, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
More Reviews (35)
- See All Excellent Gift and Gourmet Coffee Shop
- Ladies Getaway in Galena
- See All Wine Tasting in Galena
- See All Ladies Weekend at the Desoto Hotel
- See All If You Can Tolerate Smoke
deecat's Related Pages
Galena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second Most Visited City in the State of Illinois"
- "Valentines Day in Galena"
- "Jenilady's new Galena Page"
- "Annual Easter Weekend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galena
- Hotels in Galena
- Transportation in Galena
- Nightlife in Galena
- Restaurants in Galena
- Shopping in Galena
- Warnings and Dangers in Galena
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kampong Bandar Hotels
- Konz Hotels
- Unalaska Island
- El Valle Hotels
- Bassae Hotels
Badges & Stats in Galena
- 39 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Galena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galena
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Wrote a Review Excellent Gift and Gourmet Coffee Shop in Galena Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Overview of a Wonderful Weekend in Galena"
- updated a Galena Travel Page "Second Most Visited City in the State of Illinois"
- Commented on one of dlandt's Galena travel pages
Photos in GalenaSee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Galena hotel reviews
- Longhollow Point Condominiums
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2012
- Worldmark Galena
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- The Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel
- 297 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa
- 254 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Chestnut Mountain Resort
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013
- DeSoto House Hotel
- 199 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Goldmoor Inn
- 282 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Pine Hollow Inn Bed and Breakfast
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2009
- Farmers' Guest House
- 576 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast
- 398 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Galena
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Annie Wiggins Guest House
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 19, 2013
- Tierra Linda Bed and Breakfast
- 178 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013