"Second Most Visited City in the State of Illinois" Top 5 Page for this destination Galena by deecat
Galena Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 189 photos
The term Galena is Latin for "lead sulfide", which is appropriate for the name of this city since all the wealth that was here came from the mining of lead. The Native Americans called Galena and the area around it "Manitoomie" meaning "Sacred Ground" or "God's Country". I can certainly see why.
Because of the mineral treasure found in the late 1600s, fortunes were amassed and "architectural masterpieces sprang up in Galena". About this time, it was one of the busiest Mississippi River ports between St. Louis and St. Paul! It was not long-lived. The town's fortunes declined, and progress bypassed Galena.
Then, in the 1960's, Galena was rediscovered, and most of its 19th-century buildings were restored. That is fortunate for all of us who love beautiful architecture. Preservation is still strong in Galena; hopefully, the beauty will be maintained.
Galena is the county seat for Jo Daviess Count and second only to Chicago as the most visited city in the state of Illinois.
The antique shops that used to abound are no longer here. The shops over the last 20 years have changed with the times, and it is not a good thing, in my eyes. I hope this conscientious community does not let commercialism get out of hand. It's the rich heritage stretching back many centuries that is really important rather than Chinese-made items sold in many of the 100 plus shops.
- Pros:Historic, Great Architecture, Wonderful Restaurants
- Cons:Crowded on weekends, especially in summer
- In a nutshell:A Lovely Old Town With Historic Buildings
While on our Ladies Getaway Weekend, we drove to Dubuque, Iowa to visit the shops on Bluff Street. It was a Sunday, and... more travel advice
When we decided to take a road trip to Galena, we were unaware that it was a special Ladies Getaway Weekend! This year... more travel advice
- See All Wine Tasting in Galena
- See All Ladies Weekend at the Desoto Hotel
- See All If You Can Tolerate Smoke
- See All Observation Tower
deecat's Related Pages
Galena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second Most Visited City in the State of Illinois"
- "Valentines Day in Galena"
- "Jenilady's new Galena Page"
- "Annual Easter Weekend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galena
- Hotels in Galena
- Transportation in Galena
- Nightlife in Galena
- Restaurants in Galena
- Shopping in Galena
- Warnings and Dangers in Galena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galena
- 39 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Galena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galena
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Wrote a Review Excellent Gift and Gourmet Coffee Shop in Galena Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Overview of a Wonderful Weekend in Galena"
- updated a Galena Travel Page "Second Most Visited City in the State of Illinois"
- Commented on one of dlandt's Galena travel pages
Photos in GalenaSee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos