"A University "Creates" A Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Evanston by deecat
Evanston Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 149 photos
The history of Evanston is so intermingled with Northwestern University that you cannot speak of one without the other!
Northwestern University was actually founded before the city of Evanston. Once the university was founded (1851), its founders submitted to a county judge its plans for a city. They named the town Evanston after one of the university's founders, John Evans.
The university purchased a "397-acre tract of land on the shore of Lake Michigan" and established a campus and then developed the land near it as the town of Evanston.
I've visited Evanston several times over the last thirty years, but until our VT meeting and tour of Evanston, lead by Pedersdottir (Katja), I knew very little about its history. Katja pointed out that the University still owns much of the land that the town buildings sit on. The business people can own the buildings, but they cannot own the land.
Evanston is located just north of Chicago (12 miles) Evanston has a population of almost 80,000 people, people of all nationalities. This Chicago suburb is well-known for its beautiful tree-lined streets, "Painted Ladies" (Victorian Houses) along Sheridan Road, downtown Condominiums with Lake Views, Lakeshore Mansions, , excellent and convenient public transportation, wonderful parks, and a stunning location on beautiful Lake Michigan.
Diverse, both racially and economically, it has always been known for its social consciousness as well as for its many civic ventures. One of its drawbacks is its history of high taxes.
I've always known of Evanston for
its numerous eating establishments that are highly recommended. After the VT tour (October, 2004), I'm convinced that I will be visiting Evanston to find out for myself.
- Pros:Diverse, Beautiful, Innovative, Excellent Restaurants, Great University, Stunning Location
- Cons:High Taxes
- In a nutshell:A Lovely City On Prime Land
Click for view of sculpture While visiting the Northwestern Hospital in Evanston, I was impressed with the art... more travel advice
Click to see panoramic of Lagoon and the ducks! Another place that we walked to on our tour of Evanston was Dawes... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Evanston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Victoriana meets Helmut Jahn on the Lake"
- "A University "Creates" A Town"
- "Evanston Illinois"
- "Evanston, Illinois"
- "Evanston pretty place outside of Chicago"
- "Evanston - north of Chicago"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Evanston
- Hotels in Evanston
- Transportation in Evanston
- Nightlife in Evanston
- Restaurants in Evanston
- Shopping in Evanston
- Warnings and Dangers in Evanston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Evanston
- 15 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Evanston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Evanston
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great Art in Unexpected Places"
- Wrote a Review Great Art in Unexpected Places in Evanston Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Evanston Travelogue "Great Weather, Food, City, University, and FRIENDS"
- Commented on one of shekaago's Evanston travel pages
Photos in EvanstonSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos