"Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago" Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago by deecat
Chicago Travel Guide: 5,959 reviews and 12,276 photos
"I have struck a city--a real city. And they call it Chicago. The other places do not count." Rudyard Kipling
I recently took this photograph (July, 2006) on a beautiful day in the city when my daughter Jill and I were celebrating my birthday. The sky was so beautiful that it looked fake. Believe me, it is not fake. Sometimes, I'm lucky with a photo taken with my digital camera, and the perfect shot results. This, I feel, is one of those times.
Chicago might be one of the most misunderstood cities in the United States. When people from other countries think of Chicago, they speak in terms of "gangsters", "Mob Bosses", "Murder Capitol", and "Second City." But, we who live in Chicago or near Chicago, know that those stereotypes are FALSE.
Chicago is one of the cleanest, safest large cities for tourist to visit.
It's a city with one of the best lakefronts... Lake Michigan.
Also, Chicago is filled with some of the best and most varied restaurants; it has the finest and best known shops which "line" the Magnificent Mile, the famed Water Tower Place as well as that great street, State Street, in the "Loop".
Beautiful, easily-recognized architecture is scattered throughout the city; it's a city with a reputation for a lively music scene with Blues Bars, Broadway Musicals, major Rock Concerts, and an Opera House.
In the category of Sports, Chicago shines. We have teams with great long histories and nationwide followings. The basketball Bulls with six Championships, The Black Hawks hockey team, The Chicago Bears Football team affectionately called, "The Monsters of the Midway:", and let me not forget the two great baseball teams: The Chicago White Sox from the South Side (The World Champs, 2005), and the Chicago Cubs from the North Side. My husband and I are, of course, Cub fans. My husband has followed them faithfully for 50 years!
The beaches along the lakefront are activity-packed, from the competitive Beach Volleyball games to the graceful Hand Gliding activity.
There are two zoos: The Brookfield Zoo (Large zoo located in a nearby Western Suburb) and the city zoo, Lincoln Park, which, by the way, has FREE ADMISSION.
The best positive characteristic about Chicago is its neighborhoods, which have kept the "flavor" of the immigrants who came here long ago.
There's Taylor Street with wonderful Italian Restarurants, Greek Town and its authenic eateries, Lincoln Square and its German food and Beer Fests, Chinatown, South Side with its wonderful Soul Food as well as a myriad of other nationalities and their food specialties.
I've often thought that even if I ate in a different restaurant every day from now until the end of my life, I would not have eaten in all of them...and I 'm talking about restaurants that serve GREAT food.
We're not a Second City, just a different kind of city.
"Chicago likes audacity and is always willing to try something once; no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you set out to do, Chicago will give you a chance." Lincoln Steffens, journalist & muckraker, c. 1900
I did some reading about Chicago's history before I started these pages so that I could glean some insights into the personality of the City.
I found out some things I never knew and will share them with you.
1. The first nuclear chain reaction
took place in Illinois at THE
UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO in
2. Pinball was invented in 1930
in an Outdoor Games Company
3.The first Aquarium opened in CHICAGO in 1893.
4. The Home Insurance Building
was built in 1885 in CHICAGO,
being the world's FIRST modern
- Pros:Clean, friendly, vibrant, soulful, musical, sport's minded yet filled with culture and art
- Cons:In some neighborhoods there are gangs and drugs just like all big cities
- In a nutshell:A Working Man's City with a Sophisticated Edge
Saturday, November 14, 2009, my daughter Jill and I attended a VT Lunch at Tre Kronor Swedish Restaurant on Chicago's... more travel advice
When Chet [yooperprof] asked me to join other Vt's to try a Uzbekistan restaurant in suburban Buffalo Grove, I was eager... more travel advice
- See All Walking Navy Pier
- See All Luxury This Time
- See All Richard & Annette Bloch Cancer Survivors...
- See All Renovation of Buckingham Fountain
- See All Chicago's Landmark Theater
deecat's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 223 Reviews
- 575 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 199 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
- updated a Chicago Travel Page "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: "Game of Thrones"..."
- Commented on one of TravellerMel's Chicago travel pages
- Wrote a Review A little bit of Sweden in Chicago about Tre Kronor in Chicago Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "A little bit of Sweden in Chicago"
Photos in ChicagoSee All Photos (575)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos