"Where I Lived For Nine Years" Antioch by deecat

Antioch Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 35 photos

Antioch [Almost in Wisconsin]

Antioch, Illinois, is special for our family because we lived here during our daughter Jill's growing up [5th grade until high school graduation].

Recently, my friend Mickey and I spent a lovely November day visiting this much-changed small town. I had not been to Antioch in some time and was surprised by the many changes. The population has exploded because of many of housing developments; the downtown area seems to be resurfacing as a vibrant and active area; new schools have been built; and there seems to be a more youthful aura about it.

We moved to Antioch, building a home on the golf course. We remember those years with fondness.

• Pros:Small Town Flavor; Vibrant Downtown; Friendly People
  • Last visit to Antioch: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Hi Dee, I enjoyed re-reading your Antioch tips after all this time. It's good that they have resumed rail service, after a 31-year hiatus, between Antioch and Chicago.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I would love to visit this place Dee! The historical societies are the best and one of my great source of information. Great page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM

~ Hello, Dee! Well, I liked this town from your description and feel like paying a visit there! Thanx for sharing!

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 4:26 AM

Thank you so much for caring to read about my Berlin tips and recommandations. My best to you. Maria P.S.: Great tip on your Antioch's fudge store

• jillzi's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Pickford China sounds so elegant. Nice to see smalll-town America represented. What a picture-perfect portrait of Antioch. Excellent restaurant reviews. Did not know that Antioc was so interesting.

• Oct 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM

What an interesting town. The restaurant tips are excellent. I enjoyed reading about this small town.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Thanks for showing me around this lovely spot. It must hold some wonderful memories for you.Good that so much has been preserved & restored. The history is interesting.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM

wonderfully detailed. totally agree with your last line : thank goodness for people who care.

• Oct 13, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Great information!

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM

great tips, especially on restaurants and shopping, from a true Illinois resident. i was not expecting hummus to be on the menu at Rugan's.

deecat Used To Live Here!

deecat

Badges & Stats in Antioch

Have you been to Antioch?

Latest Activity in Antioch