"A Pioneer Spirit Alive in Kalona" Kalona by deecat
Kalona Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 45 photos
Jill and I wanted to learn more about The Old Order Amish & the Mennonites, to explore the Kalona Historical Village, and to peruse the Kalona Quilt and Textile Museum so off we drove to this small town that is just 15 miles southwest of Iowa City.
Kalona Historical Village on Highway 22 is a great example of how united this community really is. The idea started with the Historical Society's push to save the town's Depot and grew into a 2-block-long area. By 1973, the former Rock Island Railroad Depot was entirely restored & 2 other historic buildings & 2 museums were opened to the public.
It then became a joint effort of the Kalona Historical Society & the much older Mennonite Historical Society. The Mennonite Museum & Historical Archives were erected. The Historical Society opened the Wahl Museum with the Kalona Quilt & Textile Museum & the Reif Mineral Museum & gift shop.. Jill & I visited all of these.
Today, the Kalona area is home to one of the largest Old Order Amish-Mennonite settlements west of the Mississippi River.
What is obvious in Kalona is that the presence of the Amish-Mennonite traditions has been partly responsible for much of this town's conservatism & stability.
Don't confuse the Kalona Amish with the residents of Amana Colonies. "There is no connection between the two" say the tour guides. Both have German ancestry & are quite religious. Do not take photographs of the Kalona Amish because personal photographs have been "interpreted as a form of idolatry"...
There's more to Kalona than the Amish-Mennonites such as great places to eat, shop, & view the beautiful countryside.
- Pros:Historic, quaint, Old Order Amish & Mennonites
- In a nutshell:A quaint small town with a pioneer spirit
For 28 consecutives years, the Iowa Mennonite Central Committee has held a relief sale to fund world hunger projects.... more travel advice
Both Jill and I love cheese; thus, we decided to visit the Kalona Cheese Factory which is located a few miles north of... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Kalona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Pioneer Spirit Alive in Kalona"
- "Kalona-Horse & Buggies"
- "Amish ice-cream..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalona
- Transportation in Kalona
- Restaurants in Kalona
- Shopping in Kalona
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kalona
- 14 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Kalona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalona
Photos in KalonaSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos