"Mississippi River Town" Bellevue by deecat
Bellevue Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 31 photos
Bellevue is bordered by the mighty Mississippi, and its name means "Beautiful View", which is literally true. It certainly has natural beauty with the Mississippi River as its front door and several State Parks and Reserves that surround it.
Bellevue was the first settlement in Jackson County, & it is the oldest city in this county as well as one of the five oldest cities in Iowa. It's a charming small town with very friendly people.
Because it is situated on the Mississippi River, it offers superb boating and fishing, leisurely walks along the banks of the River, and the opportunity to sight eagles soaring above in the winter. It's important to note: Bellevue is built on high ground along the Mississippi; thus, most of the town is not at risk for flooding.
The main street is lined with native stone and brick buildings that house unique stores, restaurants, and bars.
It's of interest to note that prehistoric Woodland Indians made their homes at this location as did Blackhawk's tribe. About 1833 pioneer farmers arrived and formed a settlement called Bell View [spelling was later changed to the French, Belle Vue and today it's merged into Bellevue.]
Do not miss Mont Rest Bed and Breakfast , a beautiful home "nestled halfway up a 9 acre wooded bluff overlooking one of the most panoramic views of the mighty Mississippi River." [see separate tip]
The Grant Wood Scenic Byway [East End} goes through Bellevue to and through several other small towns, including Maquoketa, Anamosa, & Stone City.
Iowa's oldest standing frame flour mill is located here on the southern border, and we visited it. (see individual tip).
Bellevue's Lock and Dam #12 is impressive, and we saw a huge tug boat & barge pass through the locks. [See individual tip]
Don't miss an opportunity to see this special place, a quiet little town overlooking the Mighty Mississippi River, Bellevue, Iowa.
- Pros:Pretty Rivertown with State Park and Riverwalk
- Cons:Many places closed on Monday/Tuesday
- In a nutshell:Small town charm and friendliness
The first thing that Jill and I did when we entered Bellevue was to find the chamber of Commerce. It's quite each since... more travel advice
One of the most fascinating activities on this trip was seeing and learning about the Lock and Dam System along the... more travel advice
deecat's Related Pages
Bellevue Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Bellevue
- Hotels in Bellevue
- Restaurants in Bellevue
- Shopping in Bellevue
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bellevue
- 10 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Bellevue?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bellevue
Photos in BellevueSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 223 reviews, 581 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 82 reviews, 223 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 50 reviews, 208 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 112 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta Intro, 53 reviews, 191 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 98 reviews, 142 photos, 1 travelogue
- Robinson Intro, 42 reviews, 176 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa Intro, 46 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 49 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Intro, 39 reviews, 112 photos